I Really H A T E Going To The Doctor

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The echo is (to me) one of the most interesting tests that they do. It is basically the same thing as they do as an ultrasound for a baby, except they are looking at your heart.
    You will lie on a table, and they put some kind of a jelly on your chest to make the echo device slide around, and then the images show up on a tiny b/w television screen.
    You can see the heart beating, and the sounds are almost like something underwater, with lots of “blups” and gurgles.

They take pictures and measurements of how the heart is working, and then do another area. Once they have done the various positions of the heart pictures, they will probably check your jugular veins also.
    It takes about a half hour, and there are no special restrictions beforehand like there are with some tests. Wear 2-piece comfortable clothes, and you will be putting a gown on the top half.

Bess Barber and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

And tell them to give you a pillow to put under your knees. The worst part is having your knees straight. It is extremely uncomfortable and can be painful. They will bring you a pillow or rolled up towel to put under there.

Bess Barber and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell, @Yvonne Smith -- Thanks. I know the echo is a sonogram which should be interesting. I just didn't know how much "disrobing" will be required. I hope he does check my jugular veins, too. They always listen to them with a stethoscope and say that they sound "fine", but it will be interesting to see what's going on in there.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for that tip, Shirley!

Shirley Martin likes this.