I Tried And Tried

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Von Jones OK, I finally got this thought out for the easiest way and a nice looking way to make this a sturdy cart. All you will need is to saw inside blocks for the legs and GLUE and screw them on. I would say at least 3 wood screws per block. These blocks can be stained so they won't be that noticeable and won't be an eye sore like adding boards to the front. Cheap 1" x 2" should work great. Hope this photo helps. Picture yourself sitting in the cart looking at the inside of the legs. Now picture little tightly fitted blocks, glued and screwed, that will stop this shift.

New Image.jpg

Bess Barber and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This might work for a while, if you glue them also, but I think the design is such that the screws and the small area glued will give way in time. If you don't pull and push it around much, it might last a long time. Sand the leg to body glue joints and after gluing get them screwed down tight. Another thought is drill the legs and into the body for a couple of dowels, where the screw holes are and glue it and clamp it tight. No screws needed, but need to clamp tight after hammering in the dowels. Smear a thin coat of glue in the holes and very light on the dowels. Be sure it is square while the glue sets. Another idea for the top of the legs and the board they fasten, is drill out the old screw holes to fit a small carriage bolt and use a big flat and lock washer on the nut side. Glue the leg and then tighten up the carriage bolt nut. Maybe get the lock nuts so no worries coming loose. Just glue and screw the shelves to legs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Von Jones likes this.