Iced Coffee In The Hot Summer Weather

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here in the South, iced tea , especially Sweet Tea, has been the preferred drink for many, many years. In the northwest where I grew up, we did have iced tea in the summer, but it was only plain tea, and if you wanted it sweetened, you added your own sugar.
    In the wintertime, we often had hot tea, which seems to be not as much in favor here in the south, and they drink iced tea year around down here.
    While I do sometimes drink iced tea, I much prefer iced coffee, and that is what I usually drink at this time of year when it is so hot outside.
    I use instant coffee granules, lots of ice, and some milk and usually a little sweetener, put the whole thing in the blender, and end up with kind of a coffee/mocha milkshake drink.
    Sometimes I add a bit of cocoa into it, and now I have been using a few of the cocoa beans that my daughter, Robin, gave me.
    Since I only use regular milk for my hot coffee in the morning, I have been making the iced coffee with my fresh almond milk, and it works perfectly for that.
    I tried the almond milk in hot coffee, and it just does not add that creaminess that regular milk gives coffee; but in my coffee “milkshake”, the almond milk is perfect.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If I have more than one cup of coffee a day I will go around with the jitters all day. For some reason tea will not affect me that same way though I only will have a glass of sweetened iced tea if I have eating out with my family, etc. I have never tried iced coffee and since I enjoy my one cup of hot flavored coffee every morning I probably never will.

I'm sure it must be good though since iced coffee comes in a lot of flavors too.

3. Yvonne Smith

I only use instant coffee granules for making the iced coffee, Babs; but you could add any kind of flavored creamer to it and have flavored iced coffee. If you didn’t want to use regular instant coffee, there is always decaf instant, as well as coffee substitutes like Pero and Roma. I prefer the Roma, but either one works fine for non-caffeinated coffee substitute, either hot or iced.
    Since I use a lot of ice to make it thick, I don’t use any pre-made coffee. I just use a spoonful of the instant coffee, ice, and the almond milk, and then blend it up in the blender until it is thick like a milkshake.
    Sometimes, I add vanilla protein mix into the almond milk when I am making that, and this also gives me a little more nutrients since the whey protein has lots of vitamins and minerals added to it.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Im not sure I'd like iced coffee, I've never had it tho',.

I only drink very weak coffee anyway , and only one or 2 latte's a week...

We really drink a lot of Hot tea and coffee here... but I drink flavoured iced tea when it's hot rather than any type of fizzy drink

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ice tea is a staple food in Texas... Least in the summer time. I like iced coffee but can't seem to get the knack of making it very well. Will get me a Starbucks Vanilla canned coffee drink on ocassion.That's only thing I am intrested at with StarBucks name.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I drink iced tea. Nobody does iced tea like Lipton. I sweeten it with an sweetener compatible with my diabetes. I have made iced coffee and found it to be tolerable. I haven't tried Starbucks's to see what a good iced coffee tastes like. Mine wasn't all that impressive but then neither was the left over morning coffee I reheated and drank the last cup a few minutes ago, but it satisfied my cravings until breakfast.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Love iced coffee any time! Living in the tropics iced coffee and tea is a welcome drink. Though now days I add Stevia not sugar.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I hate sweet tea but in many restaurants that I went to while living in the South, that was the only kind of iced tea they had, and it was very sweet. While traveling, especially in the summer, I will sometimes get the pre-bottled Starbucks iced tea. For some reason, if I order iced tea at a coffee shop, even Starbucks, it doesn't taste nearly as good as the pre-bottled stuff. And, since I hate Starbucks, I have tried other brands but don't like them. I rarely buy it, though.

Oddly, here in Maine, even in the winter, every time we go through a Dunkin' Donuts (which is often) and order coffee, they default to iced coffee. Unless we specify "hot coffee," they will give us iced coffee, and I am having a hard time believing that iced coffee is so popular here that it should be the default.

I do drink iced tea sometimes but prefer icing my own tea. I don't usually like the iced tea that I get in restaurants, and the bottled iced teas are either sweet, or not the kind of tea that I like.

9. Yvonne Smith

We have been having those 90+ days again, and when we get home from the fitness center, the first thing that I usually do is get some crushed ice from the fridge, and blend up my iced coffee. Today, I am having it with some bakers cocoa, so it is actually an iced Mocha drink, and I look forward to it every day !

Emma Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Finally, it appears that summer weather is here in North Alabama, and we can put away the sweatpants and flannel nightgowns for the next few months.
    In the summer, I seldom drink over one cup of coffee, which is the “first cup in the morning” coffee, and I do not even always finish that cup. I mostly use instant coffee for making my iced coffee and coffee smoothies, and I thought that I would try checking out some of the better quality instant coffee, and maybe I would find one that tastes okay hot as well as cold, and then I would not have to mess with making coffee in the pot each morning, or using the K-cups.
    After browsing Amazon, I found really good reviews on one called Tastle Gold instant coffee, and I have ordered a jar to see how I like it. It costs less than the expensive instant coffee does, but has a lot of impressive reviews.

755DD2D8-A1C3-437E-A558-90D357A0C902.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I drink iced coffee during hot weather but NEVER sweetened. The same with iced tea, never sweetened. After getting sick to my stomach while visiting relatives in East Texas after they insisted I try tea sweet, I have never tried it again. The idea of it makes me nauseous. Sweet iced tea and chiggers leave bad memories of East Texas. The smell of sulfur brings back memories of dampening private areas and then caking on sulfur to relieve a chigger assault while trying to hold down a dinner of pork chops, black-eyed peas, corn, green beans, and turnip greens that were comfortable until the sweet tea hit. Iced black coffee, yes and thank you.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I had two bouts with chiggers. Once, when I was in Weatherford, OK and the other, in Jacksonville, FL..

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'll agree with everyone else who loathes sweet tea. Those times I order iced tea when dining out, I get it unsweetened and take the edge off with just a little sugar. One packet of sugar will do 3-4 glasses of iced tea. I've sweetened it with lemonade long before I knew there was such a thing as an Arnold Palmer.

I'm not much of a soda drinker, either.

Regarding iced coffee: I can count on one hand the number of times I've had it. I guess it's OK. I wouldn't turn it down if it were offered to me, but I wouldn't seek it out, either.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been having trouble finding ANYTHING to drink that doesn't taste like rusty metal, so yesterday I made some iced tea... ugh. Coffee is OK first thing in the morning but after that it's no-go. I have the best luck with citrus-flavored drinks such as Sprite these days, or water with lemon. I might have to try some iced coffee later and see how it tastes, though I need to get some decaf.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No iced coffee for us, nope!

When we go to Cracker Barrel for dinner, we will order plain iced tea and put a packet or two of Splenda in it.

We are only coffee in the morning at breakfast. On the other hand, my half-brother and SIL (wife's sister) will drink hot coffee all day long. My step-dad would drink hot coffee all day long as well. I didn't start drinking hot coffee until I was in the Navy. Late night and/or early morning watches onboard ship, definitely called for a hot cup of coffee with cream/sugar to stay awake.