If I'm Gone, Will You Weep For Me?

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Von Jones @Ken Anderson
    I may have at thois point succeeded in recovery. It took 2 hours. Thereis no common routine files, pictiures beiong my wife's chief worry, but supposedly

90% of my write is gone. Ready to retire, or giv e up.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh @Frank Sanoica, you mean you've lost a lot of stuff you've been working on, photographs, and other things? I am so sorry, and I fully understand how distressing that can be.

3. Paul Sparky

Paul Sparky Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica

I'm not sure if you're saying this Frank, but I hope you haven't lost anything important.
    The computer's internal file backup system seems pointless to me, if the computer fails.
    It's always best to backup important things on an external hard drive.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Paul Sparky

Paul Sparky Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry you lost some things that were important to you and your wife @Frank Sanoica but we are glad we didn't lose you too. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica what a bummer losing your writing as a result of all the chaos.

I wish I could have been there myself to help you. This is one thing that I like to do when it comes to working with Windows. I lost files and photos years back because I didn't understand Windows enough to prevent it. Since then between myself and my son I have been able to avoid that as @Paul Sparky mentioned but don't give up.

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Thank you all, especially @Von Jones. Here's a breakdown (perfect description) of events. Not confirmed yet, supposedly during those 2 hours, it uploaded 14 gigs of files on 2 discs. Mistakenly, I inserted a CD ROM first, then saw on it's back marking indicating 70 Megs, I assumed that meant capacity, which would mean a whole slew of such discs would be needed. My wife had fetched it from her hoard of stuff above the computer nook, a place I dare not trespass! After words (afterwards), she got a DVD-R, capacity on it was marked something in Gigs. Machine quickly spit out the CD, full, indicating there would be 3 (after DVD) needed, total. It stopped after just the two, leading me to believe some files were not saved, or the total indicated, 14G, was erroneous. At that point, I went to bed.

She uses a Chromebook 11 for most everything except the pictures, which she takes during our daily nonsense, and posts them on the local Laughlin FB. The pics get downloaded in the laptop; there were over 500 stored there. Her FB business goes directly into My Pictures, but other forums of my own use do not. Hence, I use Servimg.com, like Photobucket, to assign an URL to each. When I post a pic here, I need not hit "image" at all, as the pics copy and paste directly. Servimg converts all of them to 800 pix wide, for forum use, automatically.

Now, Chrome uses Google base. I asked her this morning why she is not storing pics here (Chrome, I'm using now), note how nice and crisp the keyboarrd works, she contends images captured by the digital camera cannot be downloaded in the Chrome, that only pictures taken using IT can be stored and worked with. I contend that cannot be so. Carrying this as a camera would be rather ridiculous compared to the little DC.

This all sounds like I know what I'm talking about, doesn't it? Good at B.S.'ing in my old age! I was trained in Electronics on black & white T-V system, only the basics of Electric Theory have remained unchanged, the actual guts accomplishing all this miraculous stuff are totally different from that back then. So, it irks me no end to be unable to work with, with predictable results, the new technology. Sitting in a restaurant right now, but later will confirm/deny positive results with the H-P. I've sworn over and over the past decade, I will never allow myself to become prisoner to a Technology Revolution which was foisted on the consumer worldwide, where IMO it might have been better kept asa commercial tool only. Like running automobile engines!
    Frank

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well @Frank Sanoica, I don't think I did much to help only be supportive in your moment of crisis so 'You're welcome, friend.'

Now I understand the message you were getting was a warning prompted by the disc being in the drive when trying to initiate the recovery function. Nice save.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I am certainly glad @Frank Sanoica you gave an explanation or i might have, when I started reading this thread, thought you were having a stroke.

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Bill Boggs He can't help it. His Mama dropped him on his head when he was a baby. :D:D:D:D

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Actually, that DID happen, but it was my sister, carrying me piggy-back on her shoulders, out in our back alley, concrete-paved. I was likely about 2, 3 at most, slipped off backwards, can vaguely to this day imagine a perceived "klauck", sound like when you hit a hammer to a cocoanut. Frank

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG] :eek::confused:o_O:(:rolleyes:;):)
    "Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
    Hang down your head and cry
    Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
    Poor boy, you're bound to dieā€¦"

14. Shirley Martin

Registered

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Be sure and take your medicine!

[​IMG]