Ilegal Immigration Mass Trial

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no concept of this type of thing, I've only just read this article a few minutes ago... have any of you ever heard or known about these types of trials and what are your views?

''
    A leaked image from inside a federal court shows dozens of immigrants in orange jumpsuits with their hands and feet shackled in the process of undergoing a 'mass trial' in Texas.

Under the Trump administration's zero tolerance policy on illegal immigration, scenes like this one in Pecos, are becoming more the norm according The Intercept's reporter Debbie Nathan.

Because cameras are typically strictly forbidden in federal court, these new mass proceedings are an unfamiliar sight to those not present inside the courtrooms.

Nathan, who has been covering border and immigration issues for three decades, tells Chron.com finds covering mass trials particularly upsetting.

Read the rest here with pictures of inside the court..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-photo-shows-DOZENS-detainees-shackled.html

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I know that some of the photos released as Trump's crackdown actually occurred under Obama, so I can't give credibility to anything released in the media without corroboration. I don't know what is real.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know if that's true or not but I would have no problem with it. When they come across the border in masses, I don't see why they should be tried individually, or even what their trial should consist of, given that the only legitimate question is whether or not they are here legally.

4. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's the thing , none of us know what's real now, and particularly when it's not our own country which is why I thought I'd ask you guys ...

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know there is a picture of some young kids in a cage that has been used to criticize what they are portraying as Trump's policy of separating children from their parents after they cross the border. This photo was taken during the Obama presidency, but no one had a problem with it when Obama did it, and the policy of separating children from parents has long been US policy and is not something that Trump made up. Think about it. When citizens are arrested for committing a crime, they are routinely separated from their children, and often the children are placed in foster care, in some cases in homes that have turned out to be tragic. In this case, both parents and children are committing a crime. If they were to place the kids in adult detention facilities with their parents, surely there would be complaints about that as well.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes excellent point, and I agree. It's such a pity tho' that for the most part children are being made to suffer due to the actions of their parents, but as you rightly say the adults know their committing a crime and they take that risk of being caught and separated from their children for the onset.
    Here that wouldn't happen. Illegal Immigrants with children ( and believe me we have hundred of thousands ) are not separated from their kids and rarely if ever go to prison. I know which one I believe in most... but probably best to keep my own council here.. ;)

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When it comes to the child/parent debacle, from what I understand it is extremely difficult proving that some children actually belong to a male and female adult.
    Very often, people posing as legitimate families try to get some sort of preferential treatment but have no documentation proving their validity.
    Also, from my limited understanding, there are even some marriage rituals being performed at the border complete with a child or two which are purchased for the event.
    There are so many shenanigans that it is nearly impossible to tell who is real and which families are not.

As for the mass trials, if there are twenty people charged with the same thing, I see no real problem making an across the board judgement.