I'm A Poor Speller. But There Are Worse Than Me

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Kitty Carmel, May 14, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Last evening I was watching an episode or Storage Wars. A box in a unit was labeled "droor" Now I'm very grateful for spell check making me appear to be a better speller than I am but this is way beyond me.

Of coarse I have no idea what people went though with education. I certainly endured my own trials thought the public school system. In my late 20's deciding to try the junior college knowing I would fail but I'd try anyway and excelled. I always knew I wasn't stupid deep down yet told myself I was.

But even I could then and now spell "drawer" This poor person. I hope they have other talents to get though life. They couldn't pay their storage bill unfortunately.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes its a bit sad but could be corrected if they put their mind to it#
    I suppose they just about get by as it is

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I think that I have seen more examples of poor spelling since I moved to the South than I have seen before in my whole life. Sure, I know a few people who were spelling-challenged (or whatever the correct term is nowdays); but down here, it seems to be very prevelant, and with simple words. I think that it is because the people never learned correct pronunciation of words maybe, and because the do not pronounce something correctly, they also spell it wrong.
    One example that I see all of the time is saying “pin” instead of “pen” when referring to dogs/horses/pigs being in a “pin”.
    Another one is the mis-use of sell and sale. People will say they are going to “sale something” or that they have it “for sell”; just the opposite of how it should be used.
    When I see some of the things that people mis-spell in the sale ads, it often makes me chuckle. The funniest one that I remember is someone who posted that he had a “winter bagel “ for sale.
    In case you don’t know....... (in Alabama) that is a well-known brand of motorhome.

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yea - good points there Yvonne
    I'm probably an oddball on this, but I quite like that people spell as they speak - you've probably noticed meself
    doing just that :p

@Yvonne Smith

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I was watching a video on You Tube about hair styling. I was from Australia. I loved the way the woman said "pattern" She pronounced it as "'pa-on" That's what it sounded like. No t or r in her pronunciation.

6. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Member
    Registered

I am worse than you... I cant spell to save my life and about my grammar you can forget.

One of the reasons I don't write long posts is if my spell checker is not working after a long and I post it I will be sneered at.

Do remember was taken in front of the class at about 7 years old and asked to spell my home town(RHYL) I panicked put the Y before the H then asked again put an I after the H asked again put an E after the H and was laughted at as I sent back to my desk crying my eyes out.

Thank God for spell checkers

7. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I thought I was a reasonably good speller, but as I age I find my self asking the computer how to spell more and more. most of the time I have spelled it right, it just looks wrong to me. I guess it must be a lack of confidence or something.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

I sometimes forget how a word is spelled too and put (sp) behind it if I'm unsure.So far no one has corrected me.:D

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I've done that (sp) too to avoid some internet spelling know it all stating something snotty. I have seen this on places like You Tube. Someone will post something, spell a word wrong or use the wrong "there" spelling and someone is berating them and calling them an idiot. I'd never do something like that to someone.

Patsy Faye, Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Veteran Member
    Registered

Far sell cheep, thurd grayed spellun book. Never bin yoused,

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

upload_2018-5-20_12-38-55.jpeg :p