I'm Going To Teach Myself To Weave

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ina I. Wonder, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a few. :)

Thinking back though they sure were bulky and made even the skinniest girl look chunky.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember,Ina, there's always loom for improvement!;)

[​IMG]

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Good luck and here is a youtube video that may be of some help for you. I've always hand knitted and crocheted so you are so lucky to have your own loom and room for it! Good luck!

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's a beautiful loom. I hope you keep us updated via pics and stories. I'm interested to see how you like the process, and how easy or difficult it is. Here's a site where I sometimes buy yarn and crochet thread. The prices are good, and they have a nice variety.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm tired. The wood on the loom just soaked up the Minwax paste. It took three coats, and I'll try to rewax the loom at least once a month until it quits soaking it up. In the same shopping center that I got the wax there just happened to be a fabric and yarn shop. It was calling my name, and I couldn't help myself, so I bought at least enough yarn to get me started. I found that warp yarn, (vertical lines), is quite pricey, but weft yarn, (horizontal lines), can be the cheaper kind.

@Holly Saunders , I went through the loom site, and there was some information that was helpful. Although it was very Gilmore loom specific, whereas mine is an Ashford ridged heddle loom. I have learned that there are many types of loom. Mine will be a good basic loom. It will take me from a beginner to weaving cloth for sewing. If I wish to get into tapestries some day, I have to save a lot to be able to afford such a loom.

@Chrissy Page , @Ruby Begonia , I think it's going to be awhile before I have the gentle touch that mohair calls for, but I'll get there. Maybe then I'll make a few shawls, and I to make some for my bestest friends ... Each an everyone of you. But the sweater I'll have to leave to those of you that can knit. My finger don't like move in that fashion.

@Krissttina Isobe , I had almost forgotten those frame looms. When I was a Cub Scout den mother, (way back in the early 70's), I taught the boys how to make and use those looms, but being boys who weren't touching 'yarn', (girl thing you know), we use hemp twine that we dye with walnut shells, teas, and coffee.

@Diane Lane . Thank for the yarn sight. I think I'm going to need it. The 48" heddle has over 400 slots that will be threaded, and the warp will be 6' long, which if I'm calculating correctly that will be over 2400' just in warp threads.

I've always wanted to do this, but never had the time or funds to get started.

One of the best pieces of advice I got in the last couple of years from my online friends was to be good to myself. At first I didn't understand what was meant by this statement, but now I do. It's funny, but the 'people' around me only checked to see if I would be of benefit to them.

I wuv yoo peeps.

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Wuv you too, warp and weft! :)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder , besides price what is the difference between warp and weft? Could someone actually see the difference in the finished product?

How long do you think a baby blanket will take to make and how much do you think it will cost? Just curious.

8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Chrissy, warp threads are the up and down threads and they are afixed in place on the loom. Weft threads run back and forth and are wrapped on a shuttle that you slide from left to right, (I'm a lefty), throught the warp threads.

If you look at jeans or anything linen you can see the two directions that the threads runs. The warp threads cost more because the threads must be strong enough that the loom can run up and down a gazillion times without breaking. The weft is only tapped down once or twice, so the thread can be softer and looser.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder , it seems you are waxing old with age. ;)

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2011/20110217.htm
    "A number of different Hebrew and Greek words of the Holy Scriptures have been translated by the single word "wax" (or "waxed"). In the Hebrew, the most-frequent is (pronounced) haw-lawk; it has a broad meaning, all involving an increase, but not necessarily as one thinks of it with the English word. Although the Hebrew word means increase, "wax" (as it is translated) is used to mean either an increase in increase, or, seemingly paradoxically, but nevertheless logically, an increase in decrease. Consider this example where "David waxed stronger and stronger" while "Saul waxed weaker and weaker."

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I think Joe is WAXING educational as the weaving is LOOMING!;):)

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also, and this is a groaner.....Ina doesn't need to buy yarn when we have such great Yarn Spinners, like Ike and Joe, etc on the forum. :):p:D:rolleyes:

12. Ruby Begonia

Registered

They are great spinners @Chrissy Page , and no one could accuse them of having a WARPed sense of humor, either. Well,, that's all the puns I have WEFT.

13. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Joe Riley , It all made sense to me, so I'm going to take it to mean I'm doing well.

@Ruby Begonia , Your very right, the weaving is looming. I start my first wrapping tomorrow.

I know, I know, It aught to be easy for me, since I'm so wrapped.

Hey, where is @Mari North , or am I just passing her,? I've been staying away from the screen for a bit, and it is helping my eyes.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Life is but a Weaving (The Tapestry Poem) by Corrie ten Boom

My life is but a weaving
    Between my God and me.
    I cannot choose the colors
    He weaveth steadily.

Oft’ times He weaveth sorrow;
    And I in foolish pride
    Forget He sees the upper
    And I the underside.

Not ’til the loom is silent
    And the shuttles cease to fly
    Will God unroll the canvas
    And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
    In the weaver’s skillful hand
    As the threads of gold and silver
    In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;
    Nothing this truth can dim.
    He gives the very best to those
    Who leave the choice to Him.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

What colors have you chosen for the baby blankets,@Ina I. Wonder ....something gender neutral?