In Praise Of Salt

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello,

I've always loved plenty of salt with my foods. I even salt my Potato Chips and Saltine Crackers!

In factories where there are hard-working assembly-line workers, there are salt tablet dispensers for replenishing the salt from continuous sweating.

In the fields, wild deer have salt licks available.

I use Morton's Low-Sodium salt, because at 50% less Sodium, it lets me use double my usual amount!

At age 83, I've never had an annual physical that showed I have too much sodium in my system.

My mother was born In the Ukraine, where a common saying was: "Eat Bread and Salt and Speak the Truth"

SODIUM CHLORIDE FOREVER!
    Hal
    IMG_5061.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Some folks are fine with it and some just aren't. I guess it depends on the way a person's body processes it.
    If you get bored, you could make one of these.............:p

Attached Files:

Joe Riley and Shirley Martin like this.
  3. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

images - 2019-11-02T184754.679.jpeg
    Better picture. I sent the other one too soon.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Lower sodium salt? That's a weird one.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    First, I cannot disagree with @Hal Pollner for not sharing his view, for he has survived longer than I, both of us liking our salt.

Sodium's presence in the body sets the scene for keeping water within the tissues. All well and good, except lots of water in there increases pressures on everything, which increases blood pressure by constricting the blood vessels. Too little sodium is no good either.

Remember, it is the SODIUM which is the culprit, not salt, per se (?). There are thousands of different kinds of salts not containing sodium (calcium chloride, aluminum salts, etc.) which have no contributory effect like sodium salts. Those include others than Table Salt: preservatives, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Citrate, etc., all affect blood pressure.
    Frank

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have gotten into a “infused” sea salt jag lately.
    I definitely like the Himalayan or Pink sea salt but it will not take long before it will become scarce and too pricy for us to buy.

Depending on what I am preparing, we have a variety of sea salts to choose from:
    The Truffle infused sea salt is my favorite but the Bleu Cheese infused is a close 2nd.
    Then we also have a delightful “Gochujang” sea salt which is a chili and soy mixture and mildly spicy and a tea / herbal infusion called “Matcha”.

Yeah, they’re a little expensive compared to plain old salt but just a pinch of the infusions and the flavors abound!
    I really wish this stuff was around when I was an active Chef because my kitchen(s) would have them all readily available.

Bess Barber and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am also a fan of salt, though frankly all the "designer" salts leave me cold. I fell for the Himalayan pink (but won't again) and I've always had a box of Kosher in the cupboard, but my day-to-day choice is good old Morton's Iodized.

Hal Pollner and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Mrton's na

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have the choice of buying pink salt..or designer salts but choose not to, I can't see what the difference is. ..however I don't use cheap fine table salt..

I use 50% Less sodium salt in my cooking, and organic Maldon Sea salt Iodine free which is farmed from the sea just 40 miles from here ..at the table

https://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/

Bess Barber likes this.
  10. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I like Kosher Salt because you can actually pick up the crystals with your fingers and get the exact amount you want...instead of shaking salt in the pot only to find out you used too much. It really doesn't cost any more and is easy to find.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Maldon salt (sea salt) is exactly the same as Kosher, no additives and no Iodine... you can just use one tiny rock if you wish...

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Source: Andrew Weil, MD, clinical professor of medicine at the University of Arizona and director of its Program in Integrative Medicine.

Salt is basically salt, no matter how you shake it, because it all contains the same amount of sodium by volume. Current guidelines advise that adults get less than 2,300 mg--that's about 1 teaspoon--a day, but most Americans consume far more than that. (Processed foods account for most of the sodium consumed.)

13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I use very little salt. I make my own version of Tabasco sauce with zero salt. I omit salt from most recipes too, though some things need the salt. I make pies and cakes without salt and no one can tell the difference.

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't use salt except for a little on sliced tomatoes. Used to eat tomato sandwiches with bread, mayo, tomato and salt.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We use the Himalayan pink sea salt as our main salt. I have some that are the crystals and some that is a finer grind for a salt shaker.
    To say that all salt is salt, is akin to saying that all water is water.
    While all water IS water, and comes from the same hydrogen/oxygen compound, there are all sorts of different minerals present in water, depending on where it comes from.
    Some water has so much iron that it leaves a pinkish residue in your sink, water with limestone is considered very hard water, and distilled water has no minerals at all.
    Yet, all of these are water, and will quench your thirst when you drink a glass of them.

Salt is the same kind of thing, in that different salts have different minerals in them, which is why natural salts come in different colors. They might all have about the same amount of sodium in a spoonful, but that is where the resemblance stops.
    We all know that our body needs a mineral balance in order to operate properly, and one way to get those minerals is from using a good sea salt.

Anyone that has raised horses, or any kind of livestock, knows that you put a salt block out for them to lick and get salt from, and those salt blocks come with iodine/trace minerals (pink salt block), or with added sulfur (yellow salt block) as well as the plain white ones.

Plain commercial salt is made using a chemical process to clean everything out and leave it white (just like we do with sugar and flour), and it also has added chemicals in it that you get when you eat it.
    If you don’t care about having enough minerals and you don’t mind the chemicals in commercial salt, then plain salt will make your food taste salty, and might be the choice you prefer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.