Increasing Virus Cases

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Hal Pollner, May 9, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Every day during this Pandemic, new death figures are being reported, both nationally and world-wide.

Yet it is not stated how these deaths occur...through respiratory failure, heart failure, or other complications.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Hal

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  2. Charlene Marolf

Charlene Marolf Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've heard that the numbers aren't reliable. That the causes of death, as in a heart attack, pneumonia, etc, could just be triggered by the virus. I'm not entirely sure that's true.

I can't judge, being unsure of what's really true, but I'm not sure how someone can make that kind of decision. I've heard it reported that if it's unsure what the cause of death was, it's recorded as the virus. That's just my input.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If a person has COVID-19 and dies, it may very well have been a contributing factor even if,say, they died in a car accident.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if the exact figure of Covid deaths is being inflated by lazy or overworked data collectors. With so many dying from the virus it may be easier for those collectors to simply attribute a death to the virus rather than bother to determine the precise cause of death. The homeless and destitute for instance...

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

So far, more than 7,500 people who contracted the virus have died over here. Only an autopsy would show if the virus was the sole cause of their death or if they had underlying diseases and the virus was just a contributing factor. It is important, though, that people who had not contracted the virus and who died of other causes are not included in that number issued daily.
    A little more than 100 autopsies have been done so far to learn more about the virus and the cause of death. They have found out that a lot of people with COVID19 finally died of lung embolism. That's why a prophylactic treatment with Heparin, a blood thinner, is being considered and already being used in some major clinics.
    There's agreement that an autopsy on 7,500 people cannot be performed. Consequently, doctors and officials talk about "COVID19-related deaths" because they don't know exactly what the cause of death was.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Beth Gallagher and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

7. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Gotta wonder, Why was the fool wearing a mask while driving?

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe because some stupid governor said he had to wear a mask.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

As far as I know, there is NO mandate anywhere that requires a mask just for being out of doors. Plenty of mandates and directions to where one in stores and gatherings of people. Can you show me a mandate that requires masks at all times?

10. Hal Pollner

Registered

California, Arizona, and Texas are experiencing huge increases in reported Virus cases, but what about New Mexico?

New Mexico is right among those Southwestern border states that are getting the big numbers, but we never hear of any spikes in this State. Maybe it's because of a much lower population than the other states.

'Bye,
    Hal

11. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Of course, they are increasing. How on earth would you expect the numbers to decrease? Numbers are never deducted, so they can only go up. It's not like population numbers, where the numbers go down when people die or move. Comparing the COVID-19 numbers to the population would be the equivalent of reporting everyone who has ever lived in the country or state as still being alive. Of course, the numbers will increase if you aren't doing any subtractions.

People who were never sick are counted. People who have fully recovered are still counted. People who have been tested ten times are counted ten times. When someone from one state is tested and found to be positive in another state, he is counted in both states. Statistics can be made to substantiate whatever it is that you want to substantiate, and there are a lot of people who want the numbers to be high. Therefore, they are high.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks for the "eye opener" Ken.

You're seeing events in greater depth than I.

Hal

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

New Mexico's governor is female and a Democrat. :D

NM has a strictly enforced mask requirement and a 14 day quarantine for outside visitors. Gov Michelle Grisham said people who ignore mask requirements in public places can be fined $100 and that businesses that flout the health order will see workplace citations and misdemeanor criminal charges.

Tom Galty, Maggie Mae and Hal Pollner like this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Ah HA!

That sound like the reason!
    Hal