Internet Access From A Tablet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Howdy Doody Do! :p

I'm advising an 83-year-old friend on her first computer. Since she knows nothing about operating systems, should she get a unit with Windows 10 or go for an Apple all-in-one?

I have a Windows 7 machine but this would do her no good to learn on, because no new W 7's are available anymore.

Thanks,
    Hal

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For someone who has never used a computer before, a Mac would be much easier to learn. While there is a learning curve for those who are used to the Windows way of doing things, there would be only the normal learning curve involved in learning to use a Mac. The only downsides that I can think of are the expense, and the likelihood that those who are available to help might be familiar only with Windows. As far as the expense goes, Macs also last longer and are more trouble free, so you get what you pay for. As for the learning curve, someone who knows how to use an iPhone shouldn't have much trouble with a Mac.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Why does she want the computer? Will she be using it for word processing, spread sheets, etc. or simply to access the internet/email, etc? If she just wants to be online, I'd suggest a chromebook for simplicity. (Or a tablet of some sort, such as an Amazon Fire tablet or an iPad.)

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Asking us which computer is right for your friend is kind of like asking what kind of shoes should she buy. It all depends on what she wants it for, @Hal Pollner
    Is she just going to send emails and video-chat with family and friends, and look at family photos, or does she want to learn to do complicated programs that she needs a computer for ?
    If she has never used a computer before, I would definitely recommend a tablet for her, rather than a computer.
    Here’s why:
    Tablets are simple and easy for someone to use, even when they have no experience with using a computer.

Tablets seldom (if ever) get a virus, so you do not have to have an anti-virus program that has to be updated each day to keep it safe.

Tablets weigh maybe a pound, so they are small and lightweight to carry around, and you do not have to have special furniture like computer desks/chair. You can relax in your recliner or lounge in bed and use a tablet.

Tablets come in many sizes, from 7” wide to almost 13” wide, so the large ones are comparable to a small computer.

Tablets have a touch screen, so you can use your finger or a pointer (stylus) instead of needing a mouse or touchpad.

Tablets start at about $50, and go up to over $1,000, so you can get one in any price range .

Some tablets are very simple, such as the Grandpad, which is designed for seniors who are not computer-savvy, but want to keep in touch with friends and family.
    If this is all your friend wants to do, a Grandpad might be something for her to think about, and would be far easier for her to use than trying to understand how to operate a computer when she doesn’t actually need all of that capability for her needs.
    Here is a short video that explains how a Grandpad works, and actually, just about ANY kind of tablet is about this easy to use.

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

I was telling an elderly friend of mine how nice it is to be a member of a Senior Forum, and she said she would like that too, but she only has a Tablet, not a Computer.

Can you get an online account with a Tablet?

Thanks,
    Hal

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Of course you can get online with a tablet, @Hal Pollner ! How could you have possibly missed ALL of the threads here with most of us talking about our iPads, Amazon Kindles, and other tablet computers ?
    She can not only join the forum (please DO invite her !); but it will be MUCH simpler for her since she knows how to use a tablet, and is not tied to using a computer.
    Pretty much, unless you are doing really technical work that requires a computer, you can do everything on a tablet that you can do with a computer, and it is much easier to use.
    Just send her the link to the forum website, remind her that she needs to use a full name (first/last name), and she should be able to join in with the rest of us here.

7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Hal Pollner I totally understand the confusion My husband used to build and tweak computers for years. After he died, I moved and didn't even know how to plug one up. Had to get one of the kids to come over. I felt like a 5 year old. :p

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Eileen Barnes

Eileen Barnes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I believe so. I have a laptop, but I use my iPad most of the time. I am using my iPad right now.
    Eileen

9. Yvonne Smith

YAY and Whoopee, another iPad user joins our forum ! Welcome to SeniorsOnly Club, @Eileen Barnes , glad to have you with us.

10. Yvonne Smith

I deleted your last post, @Hal Pollner , because posting someone’s full name and information online is not safe to do at all. However, I would certainly be glad to help her if I can do that.
    I am not sure what you mean about needing an account to go online ?
    She needs an internet service provider to go online, and you (or one of her friends from church) can best tell her what internet provider is available where you live.
    If she has WiFi already, then she just needs an email account , so she can register at this forum.
    What is she using her tablet for, if not to be online ?

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yvonne, I don't know what she has, WiFi or whatever! Maybe she's using her tablet to play Solitaire!

By saying she "needs an account", what I was really meaning was she needs an Internet Service Provider.

Could you contact her, please? You would be able to tell her what she needs to go online much better than I could.

Thanks, Lady Yvonne!

Hal

12. Yvonne Smith

Hal, can you ask her if she has an email address , please ? If she has that (and I am guessing that she does), then I will send you a PM with my email and she can write to me.
    Also, please ask what kind of tablet she is using, because that will help me a lot if I am going to assist her.

As far as I know, you have to have an email address and an account to use a tablet. For an iPad, she would need an Apple ID to even use it, and the same thing if she has a Kindle, she needs an Amazon email account.
    If she has a tablet that goes online, then she probably had to go online and register an account to use the tablet.
    If she has some kind of a tablet that does not connect to the internet at all, then she will need a different device, one that can connect to WiFi .

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

WOW, Yvonne...you sure sunk me with that barrage!

She doesn't have an email address, which would presuppose that she is able to go online, which she can't!

So if you could give me YOUR email address, I'll send you her Postal Address, and you can take it from there, asking her whatever you have to, just by using an envelope and stamp, like your parents did!

Hal

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I know that I am going to regret getting involved in this, but I haven't been able to figure a reason why anyone would have a tablet (except for maybe a Big Chief writing tablet) without Internet access. While an iPad will operate without an Internet connection, any app that someone would want to put on it would require an Internet connection and, while I don't have to have an Internet connection to operate my Kindle and to read any books that I have downloaded, I wouldn't be able to download them without an Internet connection, and I wouldn't have been able to purchase the Kindle without one. Okay, maybe they sell Kindles at Best Buy or something, but I would still need an Amazon.com account. So I am thinking that if she has a tablet computer device, she probably has Internet, and if she has Internet, she has an email address. She may not remember it or may have forgotten the password, but she has an email address.

15. Yvonne Smith

Hal, it was ONLY TWO questions !
    Not even hard ones.
    I can see that she has/had a facebook account, so she was online at some point. Just ask her this :

1. What kind of tablet she has ?
    2. What is her email ?

Just DO it !

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.