Internet Service

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Richard Paradon, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Same here ! I remember there was some trouble with the servers once before, and Ken had to get it straightened out, or maybe there was just a one of those DDS attacks, but if so, it lasted a really long time.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks for taking care of this stuff, @Ken Anderson

For others: when I want to know if the connect issues are just me or if they are the website (whatever site it may be), I use a website named https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

You go to that website, enter the web address that you're having issues with, and isitdownrightnow attempts to connect from their servers. It then tells you whether they successfully connected (meaning that there's likely a problem on your end), or whether they failed (meaning it's a website problem that's not on your end.)

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought it might be weather related.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Same here. Or sometimes I wonder if my browser settings got goofed up. That's why I like that website...when I remember it exists.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As I have said in the Downtime thread, since this wasn't really an Internet Service problem, I believe that what occurred was the same thing that happened on the occasion that Yvonne alludes to. I went into a little more detail in the other thread, but since, probably, no one knows what I am talking about anyhow, the short of it is that my hosting company was acquired by another company and they changed things around so that the connections weren't made. As then, probably because all new people were involved and they were now dealing with two different hosting companies, no one responded to my tech support request. They haven't this time either, yet, but they apparently fixed it. If the problem is what I think it was, it's possible that there will be another brief shut down as I correct the problem, making it less likely to occur again, but maybe not. Eventually, someone will reply to my tech support request, and I'll know more.

I might decide to change hosts myself if I can find someone who will do the data transfer for me. I tried that myself once and never recovered, so I am afraid to try it again. My original host was one that specialized in hosting forums, including the forum software we're using. They were acquired by a company that specialized in hosting online games. I don't know anything about the new company yet, so I guess I'll look into it further before making a change. I was afraid we weren't coming back up.

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I was afraid that SOC had gone the way of my previous favorite site AsMaineGoes

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Is AsMaineGoes down? I haven't been there since a little while after Scott Fish sold it.

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

it went away then came back under somebody else(supposedly a Susan Collins confidant) and they didn't moderate at all so scum was there 24/7/365. It died for good about 2 years ago.

9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I I was wondering if SOL had gone down as well.

10. Yvonne Smith

The forum was down for most of the weekend, and probably had all of us wondering when it would come back again. Ken said he thinks that it was something to do with the company that hosts the website, because it had changed owners. It went down once before when it changed owners, so he said that is probably what happened this time, too.
    Was your cell phone still working, @Lon Tanner ?

We have internet through AT&T, but if the Wifi goes out or is not connecting very good, then Bobby and I just switch over to the hotspot connection with our iPhone, and use that.
    Since we have all Apple devices, it is pretty easy to do, and I don’t know if your laptop would do that or not, but it might ?

PS, it is SOC (Seniors Only Club), not SOL (not going to mention the only thing I have heard that as an acronym for).

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

SOC it is-----My only phone is my IPhone and it's AT&T

12. Yvonne Smith

That would work fine, Lon. You just need to use the hotspot on the cell phone to connect your laptop to, when your Wifi is not working, and then you can use your laptop. Even if Wifi is out, as long as your cell is active, this would work for you.