Iran Attacks Us Embassy In Iraq, Us Retaliates And Takes Out Iranian General Soleimani

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Holly Saunders, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

From the media...

Iran has vowed a 'crushing revenge' and 'jihad' on the United States after an airstrike that killed Revolutionary Guard General Qassem Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, at Baghdad International Airport Soleimani's funeral is pictured centre.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei proclaimed a 'jihad' to revenge the bitter loss of the country's highest ranking general, while Lebanon's Tehran-backed Hezbollah said it would ramp up its terror 'with the blessing of his pure blood.' Meanwhile the Iraqi prime minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi warned the rocket strike would 'spark a devastating war in Iraq,' adding that the assault by the US was 'a brazen violation of Iraq's sovereignty and blatant attack on the nation's dignity.'

Do you believe Trump was right to do this, do you support his decision, do you believe there will be serious repercussions.. .. what are your views?

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

That guy should have been eliminated during the G.W. Bush administration or Obama's. Both had ample opportunity and did not act upon it. That man was evil incarnate, like Hitler and was responsible for countless American deaths to say nothing of others. We are prepared to meet any retaliation from them.

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Well according to our media, our President is maybe a little cuckoo. So They bluster but in actuality hesitate to do anything because the madman might go off.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Good question Holly but whilst it is a just question, I’m not sure that anyone who isn’t on the inside and knows all the particulars can give a just answer.

On one hand, although an embassy is set up in a foreign country, it’s still an extension of whoever’s name is on that embassy. E.g. the Iraqi embassy in Washington is in the U.S. but it is considered Iraqi soil. The American embassy in Iraq is in a foreign country but it’s still considered to be American soil. All the laws within the embassy’s walls are those accepted by the originating country.
    In other words, the sovereignty of the hosting country no longer exists within the walls of an embassy compound.

With that said, the attack on the American embassy in Iraq is considered to be an attack on the U.S. since the embassy is considered to be American soil.
    The sovereignty of Iraq wasn’t being challenged but the sovereignty of the U.S. by Iran backed forces whoever they may be.
    But here’s the kicker.
    The U.S. went outside the compound to kill the Iranian leader. The airport in Baghdad is part of a sovereign nation unless of course, the airport is controlled by U.S. forces and is considered to be U.S. territory.

Sooooo, just looking at the legalities and ethics involved and placing any moralistic value off to the side:
    The only answer I can give at the present time and with the limited information I have, I might have preferred that the leader be apprehended by the joint forces of Iraq and the U.S. with a trial before some magistrate in mind rather than being assassinated by those under the direction of the U.S. under Trump’s command.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yet, R. Reagan was heralded by the free world for telling Iran he would bomb them if the hostages were not released. I personally believe he meant every word.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Iran started this whole thing when they attacked our embassy there, and killed and injured our American contractors working in Iraq, plus damage done to our embassy.
    If our president had not sent troops over there to quell the problem, it would have continued, and more people , American and Iraqi, would have died and been injured.
    It makes sense to take out the leader of the terrorism, and that is what our forces did, and now Iran is complaining because we came to the defense of our own embassy and people there, and acting like all of this is America’s fault.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

In contrast to Obama's foreign policy toward Iran, which consisted of surrendering our ships and sending pallet loads of cash to Iran, I think Trump is doing pretty good.

I'd rather we just get the heck out of the Mideast and let them go back to killing themselves instead of American soldiers but we have to respond to acts of aggression.

8. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope I have the timeline right.

On 12/20/19, a US civilian contractor was killed, several troops injured in rocket attack on Iraqi military at the K1 Iraqi military base outside of Kirkuk.
    (CNN December 27, 2019)

While no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, ISIS is known to operate a small insurgency in the area.

On 12/29/19 the US sent 5 airstrikes into Iraq and Syria to target Iranian proxies in retaliation.

After that, hundreds of pro-Iranian protesters on Tuesday attempted to storm the US Embassy in Baghdad, scaling the walls and forcing the gates of the compound.

Then, on President Trump's orders, the US sent an airstrike into Iraq on Thursday night, 1/2/20. Qassim Soleimani, the Iranian general responsible for spreading Shiite influence across the Middle East and marshaling Tehran's proxy terrorist forces, was killed.

If I have the sequence of events incorrect, please let me know.

It could be that Iran is finally going to get what they've been asking for, for some time.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Thanks @Bobby Cole , certainly an even handed way of looking at the situation without knowing all the facts...
    as that stands with all due respect if it had just been an attack on the Embassy.. and no-one killed, the drone response would have been an over-reaction in the extreme IMO.. however, it seemed to me that going by a the timeline this started even as far back as 2015.., and these Militia leaders were eliminated before they took total control of Iraq .

I am very interested in all of you're American views on this because I know that even on this small forum there are several with opposing political views.. so it's interesting for me to learn how you all think in this particular regard.

My concern is that Iran are dirty fighters..they retaliate not against the military but again civilians, babies, children, mothers, grandfathers.. they bomb indiscriminately as terrorists, in civilian areas..coffee bars, in the street, concert venues , airports, etc...

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't understand why he wasn't terminated long ago. US and allies have known about his activities for years. Bush and Obama supposedly didn't terminate him because they thought it would lead to war. But it could have been done quietly and nobody would have ever known who did it. It has been done many times before.

Because of their lack of action, Americans have died and American property has been destroyed.

I actually wish they would bring our troops and weapons home. Let the enemies there fight it out and then deal with whoever is left standing. Barring that, if they take an American life, take whatever action is necessary.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Iran itself is such a mixed up can of worms and a lot of what we are experiencing is coming directly from the office of the Ayatollah. Notably, I’m not against getting rid of a few bad players but until they guy who is giving them all of the marching orders is eliminated then each player who bites the dust will be replaced by yet another militant zealot whose one goal is to destroy the infidels and if their luck holds out they can even become a martyr.
    All we are presently doing is playing whack a mole.

With Saddam Hussein in mind, to me, we should be trying our best (whenever possible) to capture those leaders and then they should be tried before a tribunal similar to the Nazi war criminal trials held post WWII. No Guantanamo Bay stuff, no legal loopholes or held for trade at a later date. Every terrorist activity they have ever been responsible for gets placed on the table in front of the tribunal (And the world) and an appropriate sentence be accorded to them and then carried out quickly.

If it’s not possible then of course it would be time to make things go bang and if Iran wants to make a thing out of it then it might be time to go bang again right over the top of wherever the Ayatollah and their president sleeps.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

ah yes precisely the type of phrase I"ve been searching for all day...

''All we are presently doing is playing whack a mole. ''

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's just resignation Holly. It's crisis "A" to be followed by crisis "B" and so on. My late mother used to get all bent out of shape by things in the news, and what does it matter to her now? Nothing. That is to be all our fates so I sit back as an uninvolved observer.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The general who was just killed in the air strike was one who was involved in planning the Benghazi massacre, back when Obama was President. Even worse, this person was invited to the White House by Obama, and was considered an “ally” by our former president.
    This news article is from 2014, when Obama was in office, and it talks about how this general helped plan the Benghazi attack.
    Here is a link to the new story, and a partial picture of the headlines.

https://nypost.com/2014/06/20/how-irans-spy-chief-paid-for-the-benghazi-attack/
    208E5843-60A2-4EBC-B7C5-7D2D9A1F4DC7.jpeg