Is It Too Late To Learn a New Language?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by John Donovan, Feb 21, 2015.

1. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always wanted to learn Japanese, but I always postponed it because it felt too difficult. Now, I am thinking of finally learning it, but I'm wondering whether or not it's too late.

I will probably never use it anyways - I'm old, so I'll probably never go to Japan or never make a pen pal from Japan.

What do you think?

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

John, your only 54, that's not old. Check out a Japanese forum, and learn the language.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My older brother, who is twelve years older than me, which makes him about 75, is trying to learn Japanese. I'm not sure how far he has come with that, but I know he hosted a Japanese exchange student for a couple of years.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

You are not too old to learn a new language, it may take a little more work than it did 20 years ago but you can learn what you want to learn and 54 is not old. My granddaughter is taking Japanese in high school right now. Good luck.

5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother was in her fifties when she started learning Russian and she achieve a high level of competence in the language. In the 1960s she and my father visited what was then the USSR and the Cold War was still on.

I don't see that age should stop you from learning anything. I was over 50 when I graduated with a college degree.

6. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Well in my opinion it's never too late to learn a new language, but the younger you are the more easier it is.

7. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always believed that when people fail in their studies, it's because they're not really interested in what they're studying. If you want it badly enough, you'll succeed.

8. Fran Jensen

Fran Jensen Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is my take on the question: Sometimes the older you are, the easier it is to concentrate and retain. The only thing you might have a small, and I do mean small, is the formation of the words in your mouth so that you don't mangle their language too badly. We are used to holding our mouths and placing our tongues in certain positions in order to form our vowels and consonants, and with any new language, it's just a matter or re-training our mouth and our brains to place the proper emphasis on each syllable.
    Don't worry. You'll get there. What a sense of accomplishment when you start, and then such deep satisfaction as you continue, even if it's slowly....

9. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks a lot for the replies! Even though I know I am younger than most of you, with most of the things today directed towards youth, I can't help but feel old, and feel like my time has passed.

However, after your encouragement, I told my son about my wish to learn Japanese, and he found me a lot of useful websites and lessons online.

10. Adam Fields

Adam Fields Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't believe that it is ever too late to learn about anything. Of course it would probably be easier to someone younger but it is certainly possible. All you have to do is find some good resources and really crack down on it. Some people don't learn most of the things they know now until later on in their life.

11. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I learned Nihonggo, the Japanese language, as i took it as cognate subject to a graduate course I was enrolled then. But with no one to practice conversationally, i forgot all about it after just a few months of taking it.

12. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it will be harder for you to learn a language at your age when compared to a younger person. Having said that it's never too late to improve yourself, with dedication anything is possible. Also when you learn one extra language, it makes it a lot easier to learn a second. Maybe Japanese is just the start for you, you still have plenty of good years ahead of you!

13. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

It is never too late to learn anything, John! I am slowly (very slowly) learning Thai. It is very difficult for me and my pronunciation is terrible at best, but at least I can pretty much speak and understand enough to get by here. Age:69

14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I was always going to learn Spanish because most of my life I have lived within a few miles of Mexico but never did. I learn a little Mex-Tex so I could communicate with what used to be called wetbacks who worked on the farms and ranches. Not it's too late for me. Memory is not that good. I suppose it''s no longer something I want to do but fair to say it's beyond my grasp now.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey Drifter, Good to see you here. I think you'll enjoy the laid back atmosphere you'll find here. You will be a welcome addition to our small forum. I find it more personal and cozy than most. I'm looking forward to your input on the many post. Here's waving at you.

image.jpg image.jpg