Is Over 50s Kinda' Problematic?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Avigail David, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

It depends on how you look at it. My husband excuses his lack of energy and enthusiasm on "being old." I'm probably doubtful that "being old" is the case of over 50ism. On other days, I find myself making the same justification-- depending on how I look at my circumstances. As I look at other people older that me, I see their enthusiasm with less energy amazingly inspiring. They are delightfully funny. I guess, they grow wiser and take things easy.

Lately, I'm amazed at how I've been so proud and happy to say, that "I'm just beginning. I love my life now. After putting my life on hold for 29 years for my children and family. I think, stepping into a little over 54-ish seems like a new outlook. A new path of learning, even though most of my independent thoughts shock my family whenever I express them. :cool:

I'm proud to say, "I'm working!" Even if it's only 1 day a week, 5-6 hours as a kitchen-aide. I'm earning my own wages. Normally, I receive fortnightly allowance from my husband's salary, and still continues to give me my allowances. Yay!

Aches and pains do encumber our productivity, but they don't stop us from attaining our goals into finishing them and moving on to the next.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Over "50", over "60", all is based on averages, average ability, health, interest, attitude, to explain whether an individual is acceptably situated. Harder ya push yourself, despite the aches and pains, the longer ya get to do it, IMO!
    Frank

3. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

12798905_992359577466262_4221227189660145021_n.jpg

Looks like I've been living like a 60 year old my whole life then ... ;):D:D

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Bad News

Having been on this planet over 74 years I have to tell you folks it only gets worse.:eek:

6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, I think you're right, @Frank Sanoica ... I've often heard that once folks "retire to the rocking chair" they are giving it all up, basically, and will die there. Well okay, that's harsh, but I do know the intended meaning of the sentiment, and agree with it. I think we just slow down when we hit... probably 40 or so, but slowing down doesn't have to mean slamming on the brakes and totally stopping. :)

Actually "stopping" is rather frightening, isn't it?

7. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Veteran Member
    Registered

I really didn't start "feeling it" until after age 65.. When I say "feeling it"... I mean feeling older.. feeling more aches and pains..feeling more tired and less energy.. Just had all my blood work done and everything is fine... but I DO feel older and that's just been the last couple of years. I'm 67.

8. Mari North

Registered

SHELDON!!! You're supposed to tell me how wonderful it all is, and something to look forward to so that I don't totally go into hiding once again on my upcoming birthday. I don't really like spending the day with my head under the covers and trying to pretend it doesn't exist. (My birthday, not my head!) :p So... it only gets BETTER, right? That was a typo what you said? :D @Sheldon Scott

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

:oops: Oops, sorry Mari, my mistake. It just keeps gittin better,;)

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My "over fiftie's" were great years. When I hit my 60th Birthday things started going in the opposite direction especially with my body health. My brain works just fine...but my body now has a "mind" of its own and I often have to put it in "time out" for misbehaving. :)

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Mari North

Registered

:D Thank you, Sir... I'd hate to miss still another night of sleep with that worry on my shoulders. That sounds much better now! @Sheldon Scott

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

You just described me to a Tee, Babs... I was incredibly physically healthy all the way thorugh my 50's ..but now at almost 61 it's all starting to really hurt..things are just all falling apart at the same time ...I'm waaaay too young for this....:eek:

13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

That is the crux of the matter, it's all down to health really, I am 75 in a few months and can say I have enjoyed the last 10 years better than any of the earlier ones, at least that is what my memory tells me

I feel 100% fit apart from a bit of hearing loss and having to wear glasses, plus poor sleeping at night. Unless I die first that is bound to change at some stage, as my body is obviously wearing out the same as everyone else's is, just more slowly than some.
    So hopefully it won't become problematic until well after 90 :)

Von Jones and Sheldon Scott like this.
  14. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to believe that some of my aches and pains come from my taking a Statin to help control my cholesterol.. I have really tried to control it with diet and exercise.. but without a statin, my total cholesterol jumps up to over 300.. I really believe some of the so called "feeling older" comes from the medications we now need to take.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is kind of how things went for me, too, @Babs Hunt . I actually enjoyed life about the most of anytime when I was in my 50's, and could ride horseback all day, go hiking, fishing, and whatever else I wanted to do. I walked just about every night after work, and went for several miles each night with my dog , just out walking and enjoying the beautiful stars.
    Just before I was 60 is when my heart problems started happening, first the a-fib and the the CHF caused from the a-fib. I actually think I probably had it before; but it didn't get really bad until I was almost 60. I went from walking for several miles to not being able to get enough air to even walk out to the mail box and back.
    I just continued to get worse until a year or so ago, when my doctor sent me in for a cardioversion, and that stopped the a-fib.
    I still am not what I was; but now we go to the fitness center just about every other day, and I am once again able to do things that I haven't been able to do for many years now.
    I think that others have said the best advice; just keep doing as much as you can do, push yourself, but without overdoing it. Eat healthy "natural" foods, grow your own if you can.
    Taking vitamins and supplements helps, too; and of course some "afternoon delight" now and again doesn't hurt , either.