It

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We will be going to see the remake of "It" at a drive-in theater tonight. In fact, we'll be leaving in an hour or so, since it's near Bangor, which is more than an hour's drive from us. I liked the first version so am curious to see what they've done with it.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I saw the first version, I'm not even sure I read the book. I do know that I wanted to read it.

Is that the one with clowns?

Hope it's good and you enjoy it...you couldn't pay me to drive an hour for a movie. I might if I wasn't the one driving and you were also treating me to dinner. :)

3. Ken Anderson

One clown, but yeah.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , be careful how you walk across the grates for the street drain lines. IT may be down there!

5. Ken Anderson

Okay, IMO the 1990 film was better. The 2017 version was too dependent upon gratuitous gore and disgusting stuff, as well as in-your-face shock scenes, where something springs out of nowhere. It was okay, but the first one was better. It's been a long time since I have read the book, and I've slept since then, so I can't tell you how close any of them were to the book. I do remember the book as being fairly long.

There were almost no normal people in the movie. Pretty much all of the adults and kids were strange. One thing I like about Stephen King movies though, is that I know where so many of the scenes were filmed, since they take scenes from several Maine towns and places, and put them together in the fictitious town of Derry, Maine.

I didn't see Stephen King in this one, but I may have missed him. He appears in most of the movies based on his books, generally in a non-speaking cameo. He might be sitting on a park bench with a newspaper, sitting in a cafe, or walking on the sidewalk, while the scene goes on around him.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Veteran Member
    Registered

:eek::eek::eek:

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , I think that's the problem with movies and TV nowadays. They are all more about violence, action and gore than a storyline. When I read, "The Hobbit", I thought it was one of the most delightful stories that I ever read. I so looked forward to the movie. Then I saw the movie and it was nothing like the book. It was all action and no story development.

Patsy Faye and Jeff Tracy like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

The first "It" movie was scary, but I don't remember it being more subtle, not the in-your-face kind of scary. This was the horror movie equivalent of slapstick. I would have liked a little more build-up and fewer things jumping out at me suddenly.

9. Ken Anderson

I watched the 1990 film again and, having done so, I'm more impressed with both of them. They were both true to the book, and to one another. The more recent one was more of a prequel and, in that, the kids even looked quite a bit alike. I recommend watching both of them, in any order.

Jeff Tracy likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Veteran Member
    Registered

:eek::eek::eek:

Babs Hunt likes this.