I've Been Watching Toilet Cleaning Videos On You Tube

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Kitty Carmel, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've just looked up the information for my area.. here's the screenshot..I don't know if it will mean anything to you.. but according to this our water is the hardest in the UK...

a3c968b1-1586-4d42-ab65-eedf191903f5.png

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I have a pumic stone and I'm going to try the vinegar also. Perhaps the coke won't work as stated @Holly Saunders Wow you really do have hard water. I don't think ours is nearly that bad. (must add I'm certainly grateful for safe water)

@Babs Hunt I seriously didn't think I'd find that many toilet cleaning videos if any on You Tube. I guess there is just about everything on there. The good and the bad.

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure if I'd get one on this subject! Working part time right now I at least have time to tackle things like this where working full time I never had the energy.

Babs Hunt and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes I agree @Kitty Carmel , our water may be very hard , but at least it's very safe water...

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Your supplier (likely the way it's done universally in UK) expresses the hardness in mg/L, different units than U.S. : Grains per Gallon. Now I have to do some figuring, to equate the two. My "gut" feeling is that your water is even harder than ours.

First, one thing is clear: "Hardness" in UK is defined slightly differently than here, regarding the dissolved materials. Only Calcium is measured and considered for hardness. We also include Magnesium in the hardness numbers. All water other than distilled or rainwater, contains a myriad of other dissolved Elements, such as Iron, Sulfur, Aluminum, Copper, even dangerous ones such as Arsenic. Never was clear to me why hardness measures only calcium and magnesium. To be sure, they measure for the toxic ones, and strive to deliver safe water regarding them.

Now, there are 1000 grams in a liter of water, which is the same as 1,000,000 milligrams (mg). So, percentage-wise your hardness is 125 over 1,000,000, or, 0.01%. Your Total Hardness, all dissolved stuff in the water is 313mg per Liter, or 0.03%.

Our hardness is 0.07%, 7 times the hardness of your water (!) (note, our number includes Magnesium as well as Calcium). Our Total Hardness is 0.17%, considerably more than yours at 0.03%.

To make all this gibberish more clearly understandable, if you were to take 1 Liter of water and boil it completely away, the vessel would contain 313mg of material left behind. My "gut" was wrong, ours is worse!
    Frank

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While toilet cleaning videos sound wonderful, I think I'll stick with the Daniel Boone series that I've been watching.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

:D:D:D lol @Ken Anderson

Funnily enough it was a job I did only yesterday, had to get the industrial lime-scale bottle out...it works quickly thank goodness...but it's Hard water and limescale is a real, nuisance.

Where I was born and raised the water is very soft, so when I moved to England and saw lime-scale for the first time in kettles etc I nearly freaked out.. :eek:

8. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I bought some "cleaning vinegar" at the home store. Will see how that works.

I don't blame you @Ken Anderson

9. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

Only thing I ever found to get rid of the yellow/brown stain is either undilute Chlorox Bleach, or worst case scenario Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Everything else requires an hour or more hard scrubbing.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole
    Careful now, women can use them, too! I'd bet @Holly Saunders would concur!
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

I would concur...but I'm not a feminist ..I could care less if it was called a Dogs world...as long as I can get to do the job if I want to...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, but the ladies tend to be a tad more refined and even, dare I say, diplomatic.
    Rather than my preference, the proper lady might choose a dental water pick.
    Ya know, the one they bought their husband for Christmas 2 years ago and he never uses.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been known to watch black-and-white movies that I didn't care to watch at the time when television was black-and-white, and I have watched foreign films, all because I've already seen everything that I'm interested in but, so far I haven't gotten so desperate as to binge-watch toilet cleaning videos on Youtube.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I start to do that, shoot me. :)

15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Vinny Waccio

Where are you located, just in case?
    Frank