Jamal Khashoggi

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beatrice Taylor, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been following the news stories about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and I'm curious to hear what others feel about this becoming an issue for the United States as opposed to the world in general. The Khashoggi family is no stranger to controversy and Jamal Khashoggi is not a citizen of the United States so I'm a little perplexed as to why this seems to be our issue instead of a global issue over human rights.

What do you folks think about this?

Thanks, B

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree with you that this is being pushed as an issue for the United States, and since he was not a US citizen, and went into an embassy in his own country, it seems to me that it should be their problem.
    At the same time, we are not hearing a lot in the news about that huge caravan of men from Honduras and Guatemala that is heading for our southern border (right at election time !), and that President Trump has told these countries that we will stop all aid to their country if they do not stop that caravan and send them back to Honduras.
    So, I think that the whole Khashoggi thing is probably (at least in part) to divert attention from something that is important to this country.

Beyond that, what I have been able to discover, is that he was close with a known human-trafficker, and that he very well could have been captured so that Prince Salman, who is against human trafficking, can find out about the prince that Khashoggi was involved with. Other people have reported actually seeing Khashoggi, and think that the whole story of him being murdered is fake, and still others say it was some kind of a set-up, and that he was killed by his own side so that he couldn’t talk about what he knew, and is being blamed on the Saudi’s.

AFAC22FE-2FDF-46C7-A927-8DBA30679568.jpeg

Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that the caravan and Jamal Khashoggi's killing is all timed to try to influence the midterm election.

All you conservatives be sure to vote for the Republican candidate and make sure everybody you know votes the same way! Go vote!

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am trusting that he knows what he's doing because things generally work out okay for him, but I wondered why President Trump was so quick to accept US responsibility for getting to the bottom of a possible homicide of a Saudi citizen inside of the Saudi embassy in Turkey. My impression was, what does that have to do with the United States, and how could anyone ever find out for sure what really happened?

Bobby Cole and Shirley Martin like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Good questions.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought he worked for the Washington Post. Nothing is going to come of this other than a boycott of some shindig in the Middle East. They are saying he was killed during a fight in the Saudi embassy. We will not let this upset our relations with the Saudi's or access to their oil.
    Jamal Khashoggi Was a US resident entitled to US protection according to a Surpreme Court ruling. He was living in the US on a "O" Visa.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The Saudi Kingdom acknowledged today that Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi was dead, killed in a "fistfight" in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, Saturday. The Saudi's are rounding up the usual suspects.