Joint Health - How To Tell

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, May 13, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

6 months is long enough to know if they are helping you Frank - I'm applying Arnica gel like a hand cream
    it sinks in quickly and you don't feel any stickiness with it. It helps a bit and is cooling too
    I feel very vulnerable with the arthritis as its limiting what I can do, we need our hands afterall, so anything that helps
    is welcome

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife, who had many joint problems when we had livestock to care for, said the pills (glucosamine and chondroitin) didn't do her much good, but the liquid form of the same supplements worked wonders for her, and allowed her to continue milking goats by hand and handling feed and hay. She no longer uses it , as the stresses on her body are not so great any more, but the helped a lot when she took them.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We both use...…..Topricin Pain Relief Cream, take a Turmeric capsule daily and use Ambary Gardens 500mg Organic CBD Deep Rub. I no longer take Glucosamine, because it raised my bg too much and didn't seem to be working on my arthritis pain anyway.

I also have a VA Medical prescription of 800mg ibuprofen and 50mg Tramadol that I can take...…...if/when needed. The Tramadol isn't taken on a daily basis and is the lowest strength (50mg) that is available.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is an excellent point, @Don Alaska , and brings up something that applies to most of the supplements that we take, and that is that it HAS to be properly digested for it to be used by the body, and the liquid (or a powder) is used a lot more readily than a tablet or capsule, which has to dissolve.
    I remember reading that when we have food, our body knows that it is getting nourishment, and starts all of the digestive process going, so it can utilize the food.
    When you swallow a handful of pills, the body has no clue that it is nourishment, and often it just passes on through the body, barely dissolving, and not doing much good, if any.
    The best time to take medication or supplants of any kind, is to take them along with some kinds of food, so that our body can process them along with digesting the food, and then we get the benefits of the supplement.

I take a liquid magnesium supplement, as well as a trace mineral one, and Lugol’s iodine. I just add the drops of those in with my iced coffee, and I never know that they are even in there.
    My other supplements, I take along with a meal, or at least near enough to that, threat my digestion is still busy processing food that I ate earlier.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is all true, @Yvonne Smith. Generally speaking, the only supplements that should be taken on an empty stomach as the amino acids. I have read that betasitosterol should be taken with meals if you are trying to lower cholesterol, and should be taken on an empty stomach if you are addressing prostate issues...which doesn't apply to you, of course. Some hormones, such as thyroid supplements, are also recommended on an empty stomach.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nearly all supplements have sort of a double edged sword caveat attached to it. Bromelain, for instance, is one of the best natural anti-inflammatory meds a person can take, but it’s best on an empty stomach. That said, it can also be used to help protein metabolization and digestion but has to be taken with a meal.

But, back to the OP, my ortho doctor confirmed what I had read about Glucosamine in that if it helps, keep using it but if it doesn’t then don’t. Either way there is no real research that says with absolute certainty that it helps with cartilage replacement or repair. Matter of fact, in the control groups I have read about, the placebo groups faired as well as the people who took the actual med.
    It’s kind of like missing a hand and saying that if you eat a hand, your missing hand will grow back.

But, as the ortho guy said, it doesn’t appear that it hurts anything so it’s just one of those things that goes from person to person and if it helps then great, keep doing whatever it is you’re doing.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole
    I bought Bromelain in capsules, opened them one by one, and keep the powder in a shaker-jar. I sprinkle it on my meat dishes, primarily beef, as a tenderizer. Much more natural than monosodium glutamate.

"Bromelain is an enzyme extract derived from the stems of pineapples, although it exists in all parts of the fresh plant and fruit. The extract has a history of folk medicine use. As a culinary ingredient, it may be used as a meat tenderizer."