Jordan Peterson

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Terry Page, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I started following Jordan Peterson a Canadian a clinical Psychoanalyst, around a month ago after a UK Channel 4 interview with him, supposedly promoting his new book "12 Rules of life - An Antidote to Chaos" The interview was interesting in itself, but the furore it released on the internet opened up a whole can of worms concerning the problems with sensational news broadcasting, and the possible death of television news as we know it.....

I have found his videos illuminating and he has certainly changed my views on a lot of world problems, I doubt I will read his book, it looks to be a hard read, but I find his ideas are very interesting, his message seems to be live in truth and kindness to others.........

The interview in full.....see what you think.......

An analysis...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A lot of content there but none that I haven't debated on several occasions.
    Concerning the pay gap between the genders, I am pretty much finished with the whole ordeal. Peterson did well and told the truth but as nearly always, his counterpart would hear nothing of it. Even though, she exemplifies his portrayal of a successful woman in that she is intelligent, assertive and has her eye on the goal, she merely apes the verbiage of those who will not nor cannot reach some sort of plateau of unearned payroll equality.

I am however, really interested in the first part of the interview whereby he expounds on men and growing up. My statement is simple: When women stop chasing after bad "boys" and start accepting good "men", then more boys would learn to grow up and take on the responsibilities of being a man.

Perhaps, my later statement falls into the first category also. It is the confident man, the grown up man who is the direct competitor for higher paid positions in the business world and it would seem that the interviewer feels that that characteristic is somehow a barricade for women.
    It has been said that if a person, any person wishes to be successful then find someone who is and copy everything they did and do. If a woman wishes to be as rich as Oprah, do not just watch her.........be her and stop wasting so much time complaining about someone, man or woman, who is doing just that.

Bill Boggs, Patsy Faye and Terry Page like this.
  3. Terry Page

Registered

Yes I agree @Bobby Cole but what I found interesting as well, was Jordan's response to the reactions which went viral after the interview, ending with his book going to number 1 on the Amazon best sellers lists.

4. Terry Page

Registered

Another couple of interesting videos on him....

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree !!

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't watched the video yet but I intend to. I'm not up to it just now. Right now I feel like I'm in a box and can't get out and just want to scream,

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow Bill...this does not sound good. Worried about you and statements like that :eek:

Bill Boggs and Terry Page like this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No sweat, not to worry, not good for you. I'm an actor on life's stage, acting out youth to age, age to ancestry, and on to oblivion. On a runaway train we can not stop, or leave. Wow, horsey. Somebody pull that emegency chord fore we pass no-memory station or reach oblivion without knowing. I said, "Wow, horsy."

9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Wow...put the bottle down Bill...;)

Bill Boggs and Terry Page like this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Has to be that...or he got hold of some really bad Weed ..:cool:

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Terry Page

Registered

Is it that simple though @Bobby Cole ? .....would rather than blaming women, doing more research into why they find "bad boys" so attractive in the first place, plus how is our culture contributing to creating these bad boys, and how can we change it to move us forward?

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The fact is that there will always be "the bad boys". Those seemingly over-the-top extrovert renegades of society who easily employ their willingness to break the rules with no thoughts of tomorrow.
    I really cannot blame the ladies for fantasizing about such rogues for indeed, our very literature is littered with them. From swashbuckling pirates to diamond thieves and beyond, there is an appeal that bridges upon careless abandon and a definite hands off type of taboo for those females who are "forced" into some generic mold.
    The want to step over the line is inherent in all of us whether male or female but whether a toe or a whole foot, stepping over that line has consequences and I truly believe that it is that sense of accountability which wanes quicker and quicker in today's society.

Including ours, do whatever makes you feel good is the axiom of the last couple of generations with no accountability in sight sans the occasional jail sentence. We are so jaded that even hearing about someone overdosing or getting murdered is common place and has ill effect upon our youth, much less on ourselves.

For myself and many others, my faith brings me to a clearer understanding of how I should act and react but what of others who are not so inclined as to adhere to a moral and ethical value that faith itself embodies?

No, in answer to your question @Terry Page, there is no simple solution. If we, the founders of this generation cannot view our mistakes and relay them to those who we should be teaching, then the fault lies in our laps and the accountability with it.

Terry Page likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Thankfully, bad boys never appealed to me - been married 46 years and still get butterflies at the thought of my guy :)

15. Terry Page

Registered

I agree there is no simple answer @Bobby Cole the only way to live in this chaotic world I feel, is to work on yourself at becoming as honest and truthful as possible, plus spreading kindness to all you meet............... it has worked for me over the past decade, because all I really experience in the world these days is the kindness of other people, even here in Russia, young people give up there seats for me on public transport, and everyone is so helpful in so many other ways, despite the language barrier, I experienced the same on my recent trip to Mexico, the kindness of the locals overwhelmed me and brought me to tears at times..................it seems to me you get back what you give out...... I don't have any particular faith or belief to rely on, I simply do my utmost to be a better person than I was yesterday, and take full responsibility for my actions, which I fail at sometimes, but then I am only human with the frailties that go with that.......... I do see the universe as a benign entity, if that can be called a belief.... I think perhaps some of what Jordan Peterson is saying is similar, but I haven't read or watched enough yet to be sure....

Tim Burr likes this.