July 4th And Other Stuff

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Cole, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was writing in the Kennedy thread, and then the neighborhood started getting into action with the fireworks. I usually sit at the door or on the porch with Old Glory flying only a few feet away. I love that flag.

As is usual for me, one thought cascades into other thoughts feeling almost like small rivulets of water coming together to form a pond. A pond of thought. Funny how that sounds and how I picture it in my head. I throw a small pebble into it and each ring of water has a thought in it also, and so it goes, until all is smooth again.

In one of the rings though, is the picture of small children, of which I am one, sitting around a Christmas tree in the large hall at school. We sing our caroles knowing that when we finish, another class will take our place and they will sing theirs. O come, all ye faithful. Faithful. A wonderful sounding word.

Then in another ring, I can see some more children standing in the classroom, with their right hands over their hearts saying the pledge of allegiance,....... followed by bowed heads and the reciting of the Lord's prayer. "Our Father...........
    On some days, we even sang, "Oh beautiful, for spacious sky's, for amber waves of grain........

In a smaller ring there was valentines day. Everyone had bunches and bunches of "Be MY Valentine" cards! Oh please, please, let me get one from Linda! or even Susan if Linda doesn't like me. I would give my eternal love for a card from one of those! Betty was out. I sat next to her on the school bus and gave her a card. She stabbed me in the leg with her #2 pencil. Lesson learned? Love is fantastic, but sometimes wrought with pain.

Other things come to mind, all innocent, and all now just part of a fading pond. All I have is memories, for things are so different now. Too different to want to put it to thought for it would be like pouring ice into my warm, soothing pond.
    I remember leaning of the flag, of faith, our beginning as a nation, of whom I trust, of allegiance, and the love those teachers had for us, for indeed, they were our guides to the future. A future, even they could not have imagined.

I do hope those fireworks going on outside our home mean something to the ones lighting them. I do hope they have learned of 1776 and what it meant to our forefathers and means to us who are grateful and indeed free. But somehow, I do not think they know, nor care as it would seem that our leaders are leading them and others into the classroom of polarization and decadency. It is indeed, painful to watch.

But, I did not pledge my allegiance to my leaders, nor any other singular person. My country, tis of thee I pray for, love, and honor and especially our God who blessed us with it. To my country I made and make my pledge and none other.
    July 4. Our Declaration of Independence. A day that not only changed a few colonies, but forever changed the entire world! I love that flag!

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for your thoughts, Bobby! Here is a favorite of mine.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have heard Johnny sing it before, and it is still as good as I remembered! Thanks Joe

I put up a link for the Red Skelton Pledge of Allegiance. I first heard it when TV was mostly live, and ever since youtube came around, I have watched it a few times a year. Good Stuff!

Joe Riley likes this.