Jussie Smollett Arrested

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Maggie Mae, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do definitely agree with most of what you have written because yes, innocence is supposed to be assumed until one’s peers in a court of law has deemed that assumption based on evidence as otherwise.

Now, as to the fine if he is found guilty, I am not so sure of your assessment.
    It may or may not be Smollet’s fault but the media and yes, the police have made the case into a high profile ordeal.
    Just like the Ferguson case many years ago, a local problem became a national spectacle and the riffs that occurred broke this country further apart than we have seen in decades.
    With Smollet, the effect of his demise became national from the start of it and nearly every sympathetic outlet had a detrimental voice in the matter. His presumed innocence was way overplayed hence a lot of animosity aimed at the president’s followers and white people in particular became the theme of their animosity.

Now the question: Should the court system make an example of Jussie if he is found guilty in order to help deter others from doing something similar?
    Dunno. That is for the courts to decide but I do hope it is a decision that will help heal this nation instead of furthering us into the direction we are going.

Tom Galty and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That very true. You can't depend on them for every kind of news because, when it comes to international politics, they have their own interests and biases, but I have learned things that later turned out to be true first from Chinese or Russian news sites. Canadian news is good, too.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Do you remember Tawana Brawley? That is the first fake racism case I recall. It was set up by Al Sharpton to get his name in the news and generate publicity.

Shirley Martin and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

After it was proven that she was lying, Sharpton said something to the effect that it wasn't the facts of the case that were important, but the seriousness of the charge.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I should actually look it up but if I recall correctly, Sharpton was fined some 60K + for his part in the fraudulent charges. It has been said that he didn’t personally pay the fine but his followers came up with the cash instead.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If I had ever heard about Tawana Brawley, I had forgotten about it. I Binged it and read about it. So that's how the great Al Sharpton got his fame? In the late interview that I saw, he still said, "Something must have happened." :eek:

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Something did happen. She lied. Rev. Al redeemed himself through good works, IMO, but no, haven't forgotten it. Actually, I'm damned with such a good memory I only wish I could forget some things, although this ain't one of them.

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Redeemed??? he's been stirring race relations his whole life and not in a good way.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I didn’t know that Jussie Smallett was related to Kamala Harris, but if so, then it does make it look more like all of this was previously orchestrated for the effect.
    BCC6264A-C831-4032-BD81-1F4928E464C8.jpeg

Don Alaska, Al Amoling and Tom Galty like this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Please provide just one reference from a reputable source that shows a relationship between them! Just one! Take special note of the word REPUTABLE!
    Not conservative think tanks, memes by Russian Bots, Hannities wet dreams, but real verifiable sources from a degreed journalist with supporting government documents supporting the claim.
    I have googled my butt off and cannot find any such reference.
    Why is it that folks so badly want to believe their agenda that they forward unsubstantiated drivel to support their desire?
    Really it does non of us any good!

11. Al Amoling

Registered

What makes a degreed journalist so special? When the "journalists" of today seem to write opinion pieces rather than report factual news.

12. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Be interesting if true

13. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I can look at a degreed journalists history school previous works and deduce what kind of reputation he has.

Seriously, Did you look at that meme, offered with no attribution, no citations, nothing but an electronically composed image and just automatically accept it as truth? Seriously?

14. Al Amoling

Registered

I was not questioning your request for attribution. I was questioning the use of degreed journalist.

Chris Ladewig and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

That is your perspective as an older, white, conservative male.