Just Some Chatter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We, my wife and I have over the past few months staarted getting rid of stuff. When any of the kids
    or grand kids come see us, we asked if there is anything in the house they want, like picturess on
    the wall, picture album, etc.

I recently gave to my grandson and his son ( yes, that would be my great-grandson) a few pocket knives
    I have acquired over the years. I had already given away several a few years ago. My grandson took a
    Case and a K-Bar and his son took three or four other knives, among them them a French Farmers Knife he had never, and three or four less expensive knives but were all different in some manner.

My grandson was back for another visit last weekend.We were out on the patio and he asked to borrow my pocket knife. I told him I no longer had a knife. He said you've carried a pocket knife since you were six yesrs
    old and you have no knife. I told him I no longer needed a knife except to clean my finger nails and I have a file
    for that. When he got back home he bought me a knife and had it shipped. I got it yeaterday. Now I know there are bunches of fancy, expensive knives on the market. My grandson carries a small Spiderco and that's what
    he sent me. Mine is a littlle larger than his. They say they are in Fort Collins, Colorado but the knife was shipped from Utah.

I understand Spiderco is a Japanese knife. The metal in this one is something else or I don't know about it. I've never had a knife like this and one that cost so much. It's a little bigger than any of the knives I've had before. It looks something likea humpbell whale with their trademark cutout circle. Just thought I'd show it off.

Looks like an airplane with out wing or a car.
    DC7C11F0-F1CB-44AE-8BB5-B9E5FBA1B9C4.jpeg
    Para 3 Knife.

DF1EA13D-2949-4A58-A2A4-E63D8A162FBA.jpeg AB73B340-2DB8-4580-87CD-8EF46D73DA1A.jpeg
    One of their low end knives.
    And a little large for a pocket knife.
    But it's nice to be thought of.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Very nice, Bill. So thoughtful of your grandson, too.

I remember my dad always had a small pocketknife with a yellowish (ivory??) handle. I don't know the brand but he carried that thing along with his Zippo lighter and keys in his front pants pocket every day.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , how are you ever going to get rid of things if they keep giving you replacements? :) But like you said, it's nice to be thought of.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's a great idea to start parting with stuff like that. You get to enjoy the pleasure the recipient has when you gift it to them.

Those new knives are certainly a different design...almost military looking. I have a couple of that style myself, but of a much cheaper quality (even low end Spydercos are very nice knives.)

It's interesting you mention where they are made. I got into a similar conversation about Henckels kitchen knives, having one that says "China" on it. I took a look at Spyderco's website, and it seems that their knives are made in the same places Henckels are: U.S., Japan, Taiwan, Italy, and China. I wonder if they are all made at the same facilities that contract out to difference knife brands.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wish I had my father's Zippos with the fishing flies in them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That Zippo sound and the smell of lighter fluid are "burned" into my memories.