Kind Of Bed Linens You Use?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 3, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Kind, meaning: Brand, Thread Count, type of Cotton

We have one set that is Penny's Liz Claiborne Egyptian Cotton 400 Thread Count type. They are great for summer, but not so much for winter. We have two other sets of sheets that are more for winter sleeping. Are looking to buy set of Liz Claiborne Egyptian Cotton Sateen 800 Thread Count for summer. Regular price of this set is $220, but now on sale for $88. Some bad reviews, but lots of good-to-great reviews.

Nice bed linens can definitely mean better sleep.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have the Boll and Branch sheets, also in the $200 range. I don't know about reviews, but we both like them. I haven't noticed any seasonal differences. We've only got one set of them, but we tend to just the others only while the Boll and Branch ones are being washed.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_2129.JPG

I just bought these last month and I like them and they were cheap!!

My favorite sheets are my winter ones though...not sure of the material ...not flannel but maybe microfiber or fleece...sooooo soft and warm. Don't need heat at night in the winter with them.

My summer sheets are ok but I sure LOVE my winter ones.

My previous summer sheet set was more expensive but I didn't care for it that much...it was too silky...would slip all over.

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I stripped our bed this morning and took off the linens that seemed to warm to sleep in last night. I put the set on that feels much cooler to the body. Funny, my wife always knows when I change the bed linens...........she sleeps much better, but that's with the linens I put on this morning, not the ones I took off. We don't want to slide all over the place, but do love the feel of a fabric like Satin in the summer.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The only time I noticed a difference in my bed linens was when my sister gave me a set of King size sheets that she couldn't use anymore. When I finally ended up putting those sheets on our bed I found them to rough to sleep on...and never used them again. Normally we just use regular sheets we bought from Walmart and they have worked just fine for us. Lately though I'm only putting the bottom fitted sheet on the bed as for some reason my husband is getting all tangled up in the top sheet and disrupting both our sweet dreams. So just the bottom sheet and a light comforter is all the bed linen on our bed at this time.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know what we use. The wife usually buys what she wants. I suppose I am comfortable on most anything.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I only know because when my wife tells me she's spending $200 for a set of sheets, I want to know more.

Bobby Cole, Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Boll and Branch? A little expensive but I hear they are pretty good. As for us, we use S & F/B from C.T. Garvins.
    At first they're a little scratchy but after a few washes they get pretty soft. I do not mind it because they get rid of a lot of the flaky skin stuff that builds up on my body. The fibers aren't too tightly woven which does allow for a little extra air flow. A thankful plus, especially on those nights when mama makes pinto beans. The 50# ones are a lot better than the 25 pounders simply because they're bigger and easier to manage.
    They last forever and when they do start to wear we just unstitch where the panels are joined together and bingo, more kitchen towels and a couple of door mats.
    Yup, Seed and Feed Bags are just about the handiest thing around but you have to double stitch them together because they will come apart. Must have something to do with the type of burlap they use now. Dunno........but they already come with the grain and seed so why waste such a good deal?

Shirley Martin likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sheets from Khols..300 count I think.
    I change sheets every Monday. We like clean sheets...especially if your sick or very tired.
    @Babs Hunt ...no top sheet is the IN thing now.I have not tried that yet.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I had some grain and seed bags so I could make me some high quality sheets. :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It works for us, and with hot flashes I still have at times it is one less thing I have to throw off of me when that happens. :)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Carol Knott

Carol Knott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I bought some microfiber sheets and hated them. They caught on any little rough patch on my feet, and I thought they were hot. We recently bought some Bamboo sheets, and they are soft, and smooth, and not at all hot. But geez, are they slippery! I need to practically remake the bed from scratch every day because they come undone. My favorite are jersey knit, BUT it is impossible to find 100% cotton now, and any poly blend tends to pill. So I like 100% cotton with a high thread count.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We ended up buying, from Kohl's, a set of white 100% Supima Cotton 600 Thread Count sheets. Great reviews for them for summer use, which is exactly what we want them for. Were on sale for $99 from $150. People say "don't pay a low price for sheets". Sort of like "you get what you pay for" type thing. Washing them right now, but there is a certain way to wash them: Not top and bottom together. Wash with very little detergent and about a 1/4 cup of baking soda. Rinse with about a cup of White Vinegar. Dry as low as possible and I put three tennis balls in the dryer as well.

Ended up going to five different stores last Saturday looking for sheets. Supima is part of the Pima Cotton family which is highly, highly recommended for summer. I read that when the package reads Egyptian Cotton, the actual Egyptian Cotton Association states that that name is only a gimmick. No sheets sold in America are anywhere near 100% Egyptian Cotton, they say.

Will update this after they come out of the dryer and we sleep on them. Definitely hoping for the best.

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The bottoms of my feet are baby soft....well maybe not baby soft but soft. :)

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We already knew we had Hard Water and it shows up in our bed linens when we only use white vinegar as a clothes softener. The new bed linens are nearly as soft as we'd hoped they would be. Water is just too hard to use anything but a fabric softener in the rinse water.

Just bought another new set, but this time, online, and they're the Liz Claiborne brand, 400 thread count and Liquid Cotton Sateen from Penny's. This will be the last set we buy. Got them at over 1/2 off the original cost. They are white. Hope for the best.