Kindle 7

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Bill Boggs, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith, Pardon my ignorance, but I need some information and you seem to be the
    most informative on manby of these products. I deleted the kindle app on my mini iPad,
    thinking I could get rid of all those books I have read, then reload the kindle app and start over.
    My mini iPad is too old to take the now available Kindle App leaving me unable to read books
    on my mimi. So I am looking at the Kindle 7. My question is,what else can I do with the Kindle 7
    read the news on CNN or what? Or is the Kindle 7 mostly or only good for reading books. I do
    regret deleting the app but what's done is done and sometime I'm fast on the trigger at deleting.
    If you'd rather not get into this, delete it. Thanks.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

The Kindle is a good, dependable little tablet, and even though it is different to use than the ipad, I think that you will like it.
    Kindle comes in 7”, 8”, and 10”, so you can get which ever size works best for you, and Amazon does payments for all sizes of Kindles.
    You can do just about everything with the Kindle as you can with an ipad, but the 7” size is pretty small to see much of anything online with.
    I have one that size, and it is lightweight and perfect for reading books, because you can set the font size; but it frustrates me trying to look at websites or do something like posting on the forum.
    If you want a multi-purpose one, maybe an 8” would work, because it is large enough to see things better, and still small and lightweight for reading.

To delete books from your kindle, or the kindle app, you need to sign in to your amazon account, and then choose “content and devices”, and the books will be under content, and you can delete the ones you do not want to keep. Deleting the app only deletes access to your books, but does not delete the books because they are part of your amazon account.

It is possible that you can re-install the Kindle app on the iPad mini, since you had it before. If it tells you that you can install an earlier version of the Kindle app, then do that, and it will be the same thing that you have.
    If that does not work, then download the Kindle app on your other ipad, I think that the Generation 4 has iOS 10, which is what you need for the Kindle app.
    Once you have it on the other ipad, then it is a purchased app, so you can download the older version back onto your mini.
    If you have questions, PM me and we can figure it out that way.

Also, @Ken Anderson uses his Kindle for a lot more things than I do, and I think that he has more than one size, so he should have some good suggestions for you, too.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks. I tried to find a way to re-install the old kindle app. Understood mini was too old to get again. No provision for re-installing it.Needed 10.0.
    My mini is 9.5. 5. My other iPad has the app. It is a 10.3.3 and it is so easy to carry the mini. I've got a big heavy frame on my other iPad to keep from breaking, and that makes it heavier. I'll go back and look at the 8" or get a new case for the bigger iPad.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

If you go to the App Store,using your mini, then go to your purchased apps, it will be there, because you had it before. Then, when you download it, you should get a message saying it is not compatible, but you can have an older version.
    Say yes, and it should download that.
    It is the same older version that you have been using, but this is the only way to get it back on the mini.

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

A question just popped in to my head. Why is the regular kindle priced higher than a kindle Fire?
    I'm going to try what you said. Thanks

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Okay, went to kindle apps, then to purchased app and here' the answer I got.
    "Can not purchase. App not compatible with this iPad."

What do yo work hink? That's th same answer I get when not going to purchased app.
    Going to try it again.

I did and it worked like a charm. Thank you, Yvonne.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Great , @Bill Boggs !
    Next step...... go to Amazon and sign into you amazon account, you will see under your name it says “accounts and lists”. Click on that and go down to “your content and devices”, and open that, and go to content.
    There will be a list of all of your books and you can then delete the ones you do not want. If you have a lot, this might take you some time, but if you do this fairly often, then it is pretty easy to get rid of the ones you no longer want.
    It will look like this:

13409A57-78EC-40BA-A260-5A80C64B830B.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, okay" thanks, will do. I guess it's all in knowing how.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

You are most welcome ! You might still want to think about getting one of the small Kindle fires, just for reading. I absolutely love mine for that !
    It is small, lightweight, and has the built-in dictionary so you can just touch a word and get the definition.
    I don’t do anything else on mine except read books, but you can surf the web, check emails, take pictures and listen to music or watch movies if you want to do that.
    The newer ones even have Alexa built in, so you can ask Alexa to find what you are looking for. I haven’t had any reason to need that, but the feature is there, if you like that.

Bobby Cole and Bill Boggs like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I have two of the older 6" Kindles, without the backlighting, and I prefer them for reading in normal light, as I would a book. If I am going to read for a long time, the backlighting can be hard on my eyes. I use both of those Kindles for reading often.

However, for reading in bed, when the light is dim, I use my Kindle Fire HD8. That's plenty big for reading, and I will also use it sometimes to check on the forum before I go to sleep, and I once watched a movie on it. Without a real keyboard, I don't like making long posts with it, though, so if I do post anything from my Kindle, it is usually brief. My Kindle Fire 10 is plenty big enough to go online with, but I still prefer a real computer if I am going to post anything. When I use the 10 in bed, I find that it's a little on the heavy side, so I prefer the smaller one. I use the 10 to read while traveling, when Michelle is driving, and I'll take that one to a restaurant if I want to sit at the table and read, but mostly I use it when I am downloading books to use for research for work, because I can set it on the desk and read it without holding it in my hand.

I don't know much about Kindle apps, though. I have a Mahjong app and a text edit one, but that's about it.

Bobby Cole, Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks to both of you, @Yvonne Smith & @Ken Anderson, for this information. It's most always fun to learn
    something new and useful at my age.

Bobby Cole likes this.