Landlords / Property Managers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Janice Martin, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No matter how nice a person is, never get involved with someone being evicted, especially if law enforcement is involved with the eviction.
    There is more going on than you know or want to know with this family!

Arlene Richards likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They sound like very irresponsible people @Yvonne Smith and try to blame everyone else for anything and everything.

Best to stay out of it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So, now it turns out that all of the furniture was rent-to-own ! Refrigerator, washer/dryer, bedrooms and living room furniture, all were being picked up by the rental company. That had to be expensive for them to pay each month.
    The sheriff said this was not the first time they have had to evict these people, and she knew exactly what she was doing. It sounds like they are the kind who rents a place, pays as little as possible, and then stays until they are thrown out like just happened today.
    We would have stayed out of it; but since Bobby helps out the landlord, and he had to have 3-4 men there to empty the house and change locks afterwards, Bobby was involved whether we like it or not.
    They were doing a lot of yelling, and I was worried about whether it was going to stay civil or not; but with the sheriff there, they had to pretty much not get violent with anyone.
    Now, everything is out of the house, and sitting on the lawn, and the sheriff said they have 24 hours to pick up whatever they are taking, and then the landlord can do whatever he wants with the rest of it.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Can't stand people that have no respect for property, senseless !
    We have a series over here depicting people just like that - hard to watch !

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Tenants created their own problem. I wouldn't feel sorry for them, and I would not concern myself with their ongoing drama/soap opera.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have worked as an assistant manager of an apartment complex, and I have rented a house that I owned. As an assistant manager, I don't have an horror stories. Mrs. See, from See's Candies, was the owner, and she simply had us hire someone to fix anything that we couldn't fix ourselves, and I don't recall any complaints. I did sense that there were few allowances made for those who didn't pay the rent, but I didn't have to deal with that.

I bought a house in Los Fresnos that was only a few years old, and in very good shape. While I was working in McAllen, I rented the house out to a family for a while, and that was a huge mistake.

While I had hoped to simply earn enough from the rentals to make the mortgage payments, the tenants claimed one problem after another. Since I was busy in my job and not so handy around the house anyhow, I would have to either hire someone to fix it or let the tenant take the cost out of his rent.

He let his kids run around on the roof, so a nearly new house needed a new roof within a few months of this family moving in. Then he claimed no end of plumbing problems, and that didn't make any sense either because, again, the place was only a few years old, so the plumbing was all new.

Not only was he claiming expenses in lieu of his rent nearly every month but there were costs for materials that would never have been needed had I left the house empty, which is what I finally had to do.

Fortunately, since I had worked for the city for several years as a paramedic, I knew the local constables very well, and they were the ones who served the eviction papers, so I didn't have any problem getting rid of them. It was cheaper to leave it empty, and later to allow a friend to live there for free, and then I had a place to stay when I was in town.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My ex and I owned a home that we rented here in Louisiana and all I have to say about that is I would never own rental property again. :( My Honey and I rent our little Acadiana Cottage though and I can honestly say that as renters we are a Landlord's dream come true! :)

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Same with us. In 8 1/2 years, haven't been late ever on rent. Have needed some repairs and replacements done in the apt., but the complex is over 20 years old. When we have an ant problem, we just put out some ant killer. The ants will swarm around this gummy stuff, take it back to their nest........end of ant problem, at that time. We also get water bugs (cousins to the cockroach). We see one, we kill it and "down the toilet" it goes.

From what I've heard from Maintenance, we are one of the best residents in the complex. We just don't complain that much.