Last Man Standing

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Already in its fourth or fifth season, I just discovered Last Man Standing, A Tim Allen sitcom that is very much like Home Improvement, except that he has three girls in this one rather than three girls. Actually, it’s quite a bit different but the similarities are undeniable. But that's okay with me because I loved Home Improvement.

One episode in the second season includes the guy who played Al Borland, his sidekick on Tool Time, from the Home Improvement show. He tells the Tim Allen character to say hello to his three boys for him. Reminded that he has three girls and not three boys, he says, “That’s funny. I seem to remember three boys.” Kind of cute.

Anyhow, the show is a sitcom, so you’re not going to learn anything from it, but it is pretty witty, the characters are attractive, and I like it, particularly since it's not a show that I have to pay rapt attention to while I am working on other things. I began watching it yesterday afternoon and am already nearly through with the second season.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Diane Lane and Von Jones like this.
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I never missed a show

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

I am in season four now, and several people from the Home Improvement series make appearances on Last Man Standing. His middle son from the last show plays the employer of one of his daughters on this show, and his wife from the previous show just moved in next door to them in the episode I'm watching now.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked Tool Time and I like Tim Allen but I've never seen Last Man Standing, and only recently learned Tim Allen was on it. I'll check it out.

5. Jim Veradyne

Jim Veradyne Veteran Member
    Registered

Most family sitcoms don't last long after the children graduate from high school but Last Man Standing began with older children, the youngest being fourteen, and the oldest with a child of her own. That's an interesting way to begin a family show, I think. Although there is a younger boy, a grandson, it is still too early to tell whether he will develop a personality strong enough to be critical to the show.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Yeah, the show began with the oldest daughter an adult, the second daughter going off to college, and the youngest daughter in high school. Other than the boy who, as you suggest, is too young to have developed a strong role yet, there are no real children in the show, yet it is very good.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That should be really interesting having his previous "wife" move in next door! ;)

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Trying to understand why no one, seems to be discussing the cancellation of Tim Allen's show Last Man Standing. Unfortunately for ABC,I do not watch their channel anyway, so had missed this show. However, it is on Netflix and now am watching. What is the problem ? To me, this show is just a modern day version of All in The Family. Personally find it less offensive- if at all, than most crap on tv of today.
    Topics of the show, merely show us how so many things have changed over the years, and not necessarily for the best. I commend Tim and the writers of the show, for forging onward with what many liberals out there do not want to hear.
    I am neither a staunch conservative or liberal. Depends on the issue and situation, and possible outcome.Anyway, why cancel a show with good ratings for six seasons-because ABC decided no more comedies on Friday night or so claimed. BS plain and simple. You apparently have a voice in America,but only if you meet the majority's approval. By the way, have you ever noticed the majority of actors/actresses can not hold a decent conversation less they have a script ?

9. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

anyone backing Trump is gone

10. Ken Anderson

Yes, they are canceling Last Man Standing, supposedly because they are not going to be running comedies anymore, but I have heard that they will be bringing back the Rosanne Barr show. Of course, it will probably be all about dumping on Trump rather than a comedy.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

She's a disaster! I do admit to watching her sitcom many many years ago but never watched anything else by her.

I usually don't boycott things like products or actors or shops etc because then I'm only hurting myself if I like the product.

Although sometimes if I'm watching some movie that has DeNiro (used to love him), their actions are in the back of my mind and it's just not the same.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I just read a little while ago that they are hoping another Network will pick up Last Man Standing.

13. Ken Anderson

I'm hoping that Netflix or Hulu will. They have picked up other shows that have been canceled by the cable networks.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Me to Ken...hoping Netflix or Hulu picks up LMS...like they did with Longmire...and now another cancelled show Dr Blake Mysteries.

15. Ken Anderson

Fox is in negotiations to restart this series.