Lay's Potato Chip Factories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a child, Lay's had local potato chip factories in small towns all over the place, at least in the Midwestern United States. There was one in Stephenson, where I went to high school, a town of only about a thousand people, and another in Menominee, south of there. Plus, I know we stopped at others while traveling on Boy Scout trips.

Rather than trucking potato chips across the country, as they now do, they were produced locally in small factories. The finished product could be bought only in stores, but their seconds could be bought very inexpensively from the factory, and they'd donate cardboard boxes of chips to the Boy Scouts regularly. These were the better chips because they were usually overdone, and browner than the ones available in the stores.

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like the Wonder Bread outlet stores we use to have for the extra inventory. You could go into the store and get bread at a lower price than the bread sold in the stores. I would get Twinkies and Chocolate Cupcakes for me girls. They have all been closed.