Leave Well Enough Alone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A simple USB thumb drive? If there are not a plethora of knobs and switches, a bunch of shiny stuff and ambiguous names that might describe all of the knobs, switches and shiny stuff.......it isn't techy enough.
    If there are no cords, flashy lights and 10,000 pages of directions that no one but smart ladies read, it isn't techy enough.
    If there are no filing cabinets filled with filing boxes of thousands of unused and unwanted discs of all shapes and sizes, it isn't tech enough.

But, when they impose an undo button where the space bar used to be, that's TOO much tech and not enough thought. Put the dern UNDO button next to the DELETE or backspace button and all would be well.

Von Jones and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I have an external bluetooth keyboard case for my iPad, I seldom have to use the virtual keyboard, so this has not been an issue for me. Bobby has one of those bluetooth keyboards also; but for whatever reason, he doesn’t usually use it.
    I guess because the iPad Air is more portable without it.
    I always use mine right in the same place (on my lap in my recliner); so carrying around the ipad is not a necessity for me. Besides, I have that little iPad Mini that I can use (with or without its keyboard case) and I use that if I need to pack around an iPad. The iPad model that I have is the largest iPad Pro that Apple makes, so with the keyboard, it is about like having a 13” laptop.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve updated to IOS 11.1 as well, but like @Yvonne Smith, I too use an external keyboard. Mine is a Logitech, which I’ve been using for more than two years, so I’ve not had to deal with an undo button.

What aggravated me is the changes it did to my calendar. I use to be able to just glance at the monthly view, and I could read the little notes I placed in there for my reminders. Now, other than the daily numbers, all I see is a little dot indicating that there is information on that page which I now have to open. I’ve tried to see if there is a way to go back to the old view, but this tech zombie “ain’t getten no where”. :oops: :mad:

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you looking on your iPad or your phone, @Ina I. Wonder ? I just get dots on the phone, but I still have the color-coordinated reminders in the calendar on the iPad.
    I will look at the calendar and see if I can find out what has happened. Mine is the same as it was before.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

It’s the one on my iPad. Mine was like yours, until the up date before 11.1.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

For heaven's sake, if you have the same relationship with SIRI as I, do not ask for any help because it will only get worse.
    As it is, Yvonne has taken a particular liking to the guy (she installed a man's voice) and he does whatever she asks him to do. Now he's even on her new watch and IPhone and I swear, if I catch him in the bedroom there will be some 'splaining to do Lucy!

7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Now I have this picture in my head of @Yvonne Smith giggling behind her hand at both of us. She would do that, now wouldn’t she? I can hear a diabolical laugh coming from her in my mind. So look out @Bobby Cole, she is closer to you than I. But a heads up would be appreciated. :oops: :rolleyes: :confused:

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Too funny!! :)

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

If it isn't a Desktop, it isn't a Computer!

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do understand your thought process but since 1937 or there about, an electronic device used for computing was called a computer machine. In it’s very essence, even an abacus is a computer.:)

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Bobby, I guess I just don't belong in a discussion of contemporary Computer issues anymore.

I'm a really old man now, and I'm afraid (but not sorry) that Technology has passed me by.

Not long ago I was immersed in Astronomical equipment (see pic), but since I sold most of my Telescopes and quit the High Desert Astronomical Society, I have a different mindset on technology AND LIFE!

Hal
    538.jpg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That is indeed a shame Hal for two reasons. Old dogs can indeed learn new tricks and (2) I had wished that you might have posted something more on the Science board concerning astronomy and telescopes. You honestly might have something to teach that everyone should be interested in. You’ve shown the pictures of your scopes time and time again but you’ve never really gotten into what a person can do with them and what can be seen.
    From everything I have seen and learned about modern big telescopes, it seems as though they are all computer centered, which, might be a link that you can grab hold of and even learn a little more about tech. Win / Win!
    Only the guys who belong to clubs and those who have a singular fascination with the universe still look through the site to find what they’re looking for, or at least, that’s my take on things. Anything more and it is too expensive to be a hobby. But, for all I know, I could be talking out of my hat.

Me, I have a new telescope and really don’t know much about it but I’ll use what tech I have in order to learn.

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

HEY BOBBY!

Tell me about your new 'scope!:)

Is it a Reflector or a Refractor?

Is it a Dobsonian or a Schmidt-Cassegrain or a Maksutov design?

Is it manually driven or does it have a Clock Drive?

Is it a "Push to" or a "Go to" Computerized design that has programmable object location and auto-tracking?

What make is it...an Orion, a Celestron, a Discovery, or other?

This opens up a lot of "Astro-Talk" between us!

This is a 20" classical Reflector that I once owned...I had it custom made for me. The Finder Scope is a 6" reflector.

Hal
    507.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ya see, you do indeed have something to teach........
    Schmidt-Cassegrain, check. Gskyger, check. Refractor, check. Manual, Check. Nope, not computer anything...brain driven, Check.

That looks like a sweet unit you have there Hal !

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Joe Riley and Hal Pollner like this.