Leaving Time, One Of Those Memorable Books

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, May 8, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I checked out a book called "Leaving Time" from the online library, and it turned out to be one of those books you get totally involved in the story, don't want it to end; but can't put the book down.
    It starts out as a simple enough story, a 13 year old girl looking for her mother who disappeared 10 years ago, when Jenna was only 3 years old. She has a few disjointed memories of that night, but no idea what really happened, or why her mother would disappear, leave her beloved daughter behind and never come back again.
    Jenna desperately wants to know if her mother is still alive or not, and sets out on a search to find out what really happened the night her mother disappeared.
    In her efforts to find her mother, she enlists the help of a personable psychic (who has lost her psychic powers apparently), and a washed up, alcoholic detective who was working the night her mother vanished.
    The book is told from the viewpoints of all four of these people, with Alice (the mother) mainly giving background information, and the other three narrating the search efforts.
    This story also involves the mother's work with elephants, and especially how they grieve, so I also learned a lot more about elephants while reading the book, although it was the surprise ending that really grabbed me and made this book one of those unforgettable ones.
    After I finished it, I had to read it through a second time looking for the clues I missed the first time through the book.
    Here is one of the online reviews of this book. I definitely recommend reading this book !

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've read a few of her books in the past, she's a good writer! Think she wrote "My Sisters Keeper".

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

I will look for that. Does it have the plot twists and surprise endings , too, or is it just a regular story ? I looked at the information on Amazon for some of her other books, but none of them looked like they were anything except a straight-forward story about whatever topic it was.
    Since this book focuses a lot on the plight of elephants, I wondered if the other books would have a good plot to them, or just try to bring awareness to one of the injustices in this world.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I read it a very long time ago...think around the time my husband died...so, awhile ago.

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - re elephants, you have reminded me of a book I want to read called Elephant Whisperer
    Will see if I can find it on Amazon :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I do not know if it works for you or not; but according to the information about Leaving Time, the elephant sanctuary mentioned in the book located in Tennessee is actually a real sanctuary. The website also has an "elephant cam" where you can actually SEE the elephants as they come and go within the sanctuary.
    We are not that far from Tennessee, so I am going to check out the website, and look at the elephants on the webcam. Maybe it is close enough that Robin and I can take a trip up there to actually see the elephants once of these days when she has time.
    If you like elephants, you will definitely want to read this book, @Patsy Faye ! ! Not only is it an incredible story, but you will learn a lot about elephants.

http://jodipicoult.com/leaving-time.html

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I've added your link to my favourites Yvonne and I read what Jodi had to say about the elephants
    It was emotional reading, they are very 'special' animals
    Not sure I can read the book I want from Amazon or the book from Jodi herself
    I feel lost and I feel anger when I see programmes on the mistreatment of wildlife
    People have a lot to learn and hopefully books like this will help
    I wish schools would educate on the subject, educating the minds of the young is paramount if we want
    to see a caring older generation

8. Yvonne Smith

This is still one of the very best books I’ve ever read, and I checked it out from the library again, because I just wanted to read it over again.
    I keep hoping that Amazon will put it on sale or free, and then I would buy it, just in case the online library no longer had it available.

Joe Riley likes this.