Let's Talk About Hair

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I realize this is in the Health and Wellness section, but there isn't a Vanity and Surgical Enhancement section... plus recently it has been reported that there is a link between coloring the hair and certain cancers. :rolleyes:

That aside, do you color your hair? I started getting "stray grays" back in my 30's, so I colored my hair for years. Then a couple of years ago, I decided to get it all cut off and let it grow out in my natural color. I was surprised to see how gray it actually is and I suppose I liked it OK. Then after a few (unsolicited) comments from people I decided to color it again, but now I'm tired of the upkeep.

My husband doesn't seem to care one way or the other; he says it looks "fine." :cool: (In other words, he's not going there, lol.) So he's no help. Thanks, honey.

Also, and to my great annoyance, my previously thick hair has thinned quite a bit. I'm not surprised by this since my father had pattern baldness and my mother's hair also thinned as she got older. I'm trying to decide if adding the hair color gives the thinning hair a little boost or if it is actually causing the hair to thin faster.

So let's discuss our hair. Do you prefer long or short? I usually wear mine just below my shoulders but put up in a "grannie bun". (Young people say "messy bun", but whatever.) My reason for this is that I don't like having salon visits for upkeep of short hair, and I can't cut it myself as witnessed in my recent bang-trimming fiasco. I always wanted to have gorgeous silver hair swept back in a french braid, but unfortunately my thinning locks aren't cooperating. Dang.

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

No way do I color my hair. I really try to stay away from hair products as my hair is baby fine and not what one would call lush. I do a small amount of styling gel to keep it from flying all over the place. I dislike hair spray, so my hair dresser this was a good alternative. She also said that mousse would be fine for my hair. I keep it short at my age as it looks better.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have colored my hair for years. About five years ago when natural for two years.
    I loved it but my touched up auburn hair
    is my personal signature. My husband was so glad when I coloredit back. I was more peppery than gray except in front and sides.
    However now I am in need of color and just can't bring myself to. My daughter did it for me last time but don't want to relay on her. With all this swelling and other issues just to painful for me to try.
    Coloring does add body to our thinning hair and texture. So will try to go gray again and be done with it. I keep it short. because longer hair has not looked good on me in years. I do try to keep it trimmed and I add a shine. cream to my hair
    ..and smells awesome.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Haha. My problem is that neither long hair nor short looks good any more. I just wear it in a ponytail or a bun for convenience.

Are you a natural redhead? I'll bet your auburn hair is gorgeous. My daughter-in-law has beautiful natural red hair ... and a temper to match!! :D

Hedi Mitchell and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't want to sound like 'that' girl, but when I was doing some modeling at 13, I still had blonde hair, but the darker roots made a shadow on my face. Therefore, it was determined they would color my hair. From that time, till now, I still color it every couple of months. So, 50 years? For me, it's not any more effort than washing my hair. It's just what I've always done. Funny part, my mom started coloring hers the same blonde shade. Everyone then assumed we had naturally blonde hair. As for us, we are no longer sure WHAT color our hair really is. :D

I've never had it bleached, just the easy box stuff.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've always used box color, too. My natural hair was dark brown but I use a lighter shade so that it doesn't look so harsh. A dark ash blonde is my usual choice; anything with "golden" in the name turns orangey on me.

Don Alaska and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to be accused of coloring my hair because, until my beard turned gray a few years ago, it was always a dark, reddish-brown while my hair was blonde/light brown. But no, I have never colored anything.

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Thru the years, I've found my best shade and don't play with new products, However previously, I have had it turn out banana yellow and an odd sheen of olive when under bright lights. :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

I always wanted my hair to turn silver or white in my old age.....

it didn't

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes was a dark auburn. I have colored lighter I early years. Then switched to reddish brown.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - the best thickening product is mousse - for body and thickness you can't beat it
    Have a look on Amazon to see what takes yer fancy, then buy in the shops :cool:
    After washing your hair, apply the mousse and style as you do

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

The last time I colored my hair was a disaster.

I was coming in a very even silver, well-disbursed among the black. I had been putting on a temporary color with no problems but I decided that maybe some nice auburn temporary color (advertised to "color JUST the grey"....HAH!) would look nice.

But nooooooooo! I ended up with almost magenta hair and there was nothing "temporary" about it.

As we were on the road for four months, I just wore hats and let it grow out. When the black and silver grew out to two inches, I got all the color cut off.

Never again. Never. I look better with my silver-frosted black.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_20200108_121838.jpg I have been coloring my hair since High School. A few years back when I thought it would be all silver I let all the color grow out...but it was not iron grey than silver and that just made my face look washed out...so I went back to coloring it once again. Throughout my life I have had seasons of short and long hair. Last week I went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and decided it was time for shorter hair again...so I took my scissors and chopped it to much shorter length as you can see in my selfie. .y bangs are all silver now and there is a lot of silver in the rest of my hair too...so I will probably just let the rest of the color grow out and see how my hair turns out this time.

14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

You did a good job there Babs
    I cut my own hair too - what's left of it

Babs Hunt and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've liked very short hair ever since high school. About once every 10 years I try getting a professional to cut it, and it never works out, so I just whack at it myself. Not great, but acceptable.

Last try was about a year ago. Figured maybe I just didn't explain what I wanted well enough. Told the girl to cut it about 2 inches long all over and taper it to the neck. (That's what I do.)

She said, "We can't do that."
    "Why?"
    "I'd need a ruler." :rolleyes:

My hair is plain old brown, and now about 25% gray evenly mixed in, so it looks mousy brown. Just recently tried blonde highlights. That I like a lot, but it's difficult to do yourself. It makes your hair look thicker, I think. Hope it doesn't go out of style.

(not me obviously)
    highlights.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020