Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

A recent news item has said that the lifespan of Americans has been declining in the past few years, while that of Europeans and Asians has been increasing.

It was stated that this is attributable to Drug and Alcohol abuse, Poor Diet, Obesity, and ignoring regular Health Checkups.

Hal

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Maybe, due to Europe and Asia having affordable or state supported health care as compared to our ridiculous expenses, this also has become a contributing factor.

Hal Pollner and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I performed a small check and yes, the American life expectancy has indeed gone down but the reasoning is sort of stupid in my most humble opinion.

Some sites do attribute the decline due to poor health care but the overwhelming opinion has something to do with suicides and overdoses.
    The reason I write that the prognostication of the life expectancy of Americans is stupid is that I do question if suicide and drug overdoes are prevalent for the Average American. For that to be true then the Majority of Americans would have to be abusing some controlled substance and / or thinking of suicide.

In 1950 the life expectancy was only around 65 years of age but it is now around 78. Surprisingly, in 1900 the number to beat was just 46 for males and 48 for females but I do sorely digress from the topic at hand.

The suicide rate has gone up since the year 2000 and so has drug abuse but the percentages per 100,000 people just do no add up to cast a good and reliable study regarding longevity for the average American.

The bottom line is that I don’t see how suicide and drug abuse can even be included in a reliable analysis. If indeed they are included in the overall equation then the basic format is in error.....again, in my opinion.

Hal Pollner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I imagine that "life expectancy" is simply an average of ages at time of death, not considering the cause of death. The number is what it is.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Though I do respect what you are proposing, the statisticians are attempting to give reasons for the decline with drug overdresses and suicide somehow leading in the forefront.
    Maybe they are correct but it would seem that since there are more commercial gyms and more health oriented organizations than ever before in our history I can’t envision the reasoning for the decline to be correct.
    If they had touted obesity as the leading culprit I might be more agreeable to the stats because it’s been acknowledged that American obesity has risen sharply in the last couple of decades and obesity can lead to a myriad of mental and physical illnesses.....but......dunno.

I’ll have to do some more research later on just to see what the truth really is.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

A couple of articles I have recently read said that suicide, drug overdoses, heart attacks and liver disease are on the upswing in the U.S. Covid has been added into that since 2020 but that’s one subject I do not believe that anyone has a true handle on.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I wonder why it affects the U.S. dramatically more than other Western nations?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Dunno. Maybe because the U.S. is such a permissive county, we’re just permitting ourselves to be stupider.

Seriously though, there are a lot of variables that have come into play that were not there prior to ‘20-‘21.
    With the open door policy on our southern border, more diseases and drugs have poured in not to mention that the very people themselves have a life expectancy of around 65 or so when they get here. Whether coming into a healthier lifestyle changes things is something to consider though.

The uptick in gender dysphoria has a definite impact in relation to stress and suicide and the “fat is fantastic” craze is lending to earlier deaths.
    Overall suicide rates have jumped almost 3% with the overall mental illness figures jumping to 1 of 5 in 2021 and around 34% of them are between the ages of 18-25.
    With the lifestyle rise of male and female promiscuity, STD’s have gone up with about 11 million of them having HIV and many more that do not even know that they’re infected.

Now, add in the fact that since Covid, the rise in heart attacks for whatever reason has risen some 30% with people between the ages of 25-44, Houston, we have a problem.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

On the lighter side (or perhaps not), approximately 1.3+ million Americans identify as transgender and their life expectancy is only an astounding 35 years.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Break each nation's stats down by racial demographics. Then compare the lifespan of each nation by demographics.

We have a more diverse society than other nations, and some segments have shorter lifespans than others. Most of it is diet and behaviour. The average lifespan of a Russian male born today is only 64 years, while the average lifespan of all Russians is about 73. It's not the healthcare system, it's lifestyle habits & behaviour.

Our lifespans are not decreasing (at least not significantly), our racial mix is changing.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What is Driving Widening Racial Disparities in Life Expectancy?
    KFF (The independent source for health policy research, polling, and news)
    May 23, 2023

Provisional lifespan data in the U.S. for 2021:
    65.2 years for American Indian and Alaska Natives
    70.8 years for Black people
    76.4 years for White people
    77.7 years for Hispanic people
    83.5 years for Asian people

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Suicide rates among the transgender crowd are astonishing high whether they go through a transition or not. It is truly sad. If they are really that confused, I guess they can never be happy.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.