Lifealert Type Smartwatch For The Elderly Or Disabled

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, May 18, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't seen this advertised here in the U.S., but I think this could be a good idea. I have a friend who actually has a life alert type product, and has used it in the past. I would feel better knowing my mom had something like this if she lived alone. I'd actually like for her to have one anyway, since she does occasionally get dizzy, and my brother isn't always there.

It works via Android, and seems to have some helpful functions. Many in the senior age group are used to wearing watches anyway, so this could be a good fit for the population. The price looks reasonable, and although the display could be small for many seniors' eyesight, I like that it has 3G cellular connectivity. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...elderly-call-help-lets-family-track-them.html

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

For anyone who lives alone and who doesn't have someone checking on them daily, etc. I think things like this are a great idea and really can be a life saver. As a woman I would be more inclined to wear the necklace Life Alert that I see advertised on TV often so if someone were going to give this as a gift...it might be good to ask which type would be preferred.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Meh...
    Yes, the display is small and price is kind of high IMO.
    But the main issue is that when someone is having a stroke, heart attack, etc. they usually aren't able to press buttons to try to get help.

4. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a friend that suffered a stroke and laid on the floor for three days until one of his neighbors realized he hadn't seen him out side. I.m sure this would have been a God send for him.

Diane Lane and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a life alert home system. Got a button I wear around my neck. It only works in my apartment as the range is limited.
    However, the same company also sent me a device that is about the size of a cell phone, to carry when I go out. It works like a cell phone, off the same towers. If I get in trouble I push a button and can hear and talk to a dispatcher.

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis
    I have one for my apartment too
    The device for when you are out sounds ideal as you can speak to the despatcher

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If I am ever living alone this is something I will have and wear around my neck. Even though two of my daughters live close to me they are hardly ever home and from one week to the next I never know where their busy lives will take them. I would feel peace knowing all I have to do is press the button to have someone check on me. I think its a very good invention for those of us who want to live in our homes as long as possible.

Ike Willis, Patsy Faye and Diane Lane like this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

I agree the display is small, especially for those who need reading glasses, which is many people above 40 or 50. Many such devices respond to audible commands though, so that may not be such an issue. I used to always wear a watch, but have gotten out of the habit since I no longer work. I would possibly lean towards a necklace type device, depending on how heavy it was, and whether it had an attractive design.

I like the idea of the device Ike mentioned, for outside of the home. I believe John Walsh actually advertises something similar to that, if not the same product. I know a friend of mine had some sort of device at his last place where he lived alone out in the country, and I believe it was connected to Life Alert or a similar company. The device was wired somehow through that system, where if he called for help, the operator could remotely unlock his front door for the ambulance crew. Otherwise, if they arrived and received no response from him, they were authorized to break the door down, due to the severity of his medical conditions.

Ike Willis, Patsy Faye and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@Chris Ladewig having suffered a stroke myself I know that when it happens one is not capable of pressing buttons - aside from the loss of mobility the brain is affected. I also know of and even been close to people who died of heart attacks, strokes, seizures, aneurisms, etc. Some had life alert, but it made no difference.

Before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, I'm not saying life alert products are worthless. They might help in some cases (falls, dizziness, etc.) But as I've said in many cases the victim cannot find/press that button or summon help for themselves and "speak to a dispatcher".

btw when I suffered a stroke I was in a store - people got immediate help/EMTs.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My stroke hit when I was making breakfast. luckily, I was sitting down at the time. Suddenly, my right side no longer worked. Arm, leg, useless. I wasn't in pain and could still speak clearly. I managed to get to a phone and wound up in the hospital for a few days.
    More recently, I was blacking out from time to time. Never hurt myself falling, but couldn't get up by myself. Had to hope a neighbor heard me yelling for help.
    My life alert is like an extra little insurance policy. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

12. Diane Lane

Registered

I worked corporate security years ago, and we had some sort of 'dead man alert' in the office that would notify someone offsite (it's been years, so I don't remember exactly how it worked) if there was no movement in the office for a certain period of time. I'm sure there must be some sort of system like that for the elderly, and no doubt if there is, it has some sort of override for sleeping hours, but it seems it might be helpful for those living alone, especially ones prone to major health issues.

Ike Willis likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is another incredible new technology advance that is probably going to save lives. It is a drone with medical capabilities that can be dispatched much faster than getting an ambulance to some one might be.
    This one is for heart atack victims; but in the future there will probably be other things that a drone like this could help with until the paramedics can get there to treat the person.

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

When I had my security system installed about 8 years ago, they gave me a panic button. Think it came with a long chain to wear if you wanted to. The first year I had it on my night stand, then I moved it to under the pillow on the side I don't sleep on in my bed. Now I don't even know where it is.

It wasn't for health emergencies I don't think but for burglars, etc. I do live alone. My daughter does call every day but I could be dead by then. Chances are if something happened to me at home, if time was important for survival, I'll be a goner. So, I'm not going to worry about it. I would rather die quickly from a heart attack or stroke than be saved and deal with hospitalizations, therapy and whatever else may be needed. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but that's how I feel about it.

I can accept dying from a heart attack but I don't want to have an intruder break in and rape, torture and kill me, so maybe I'll look for the panic button.

It probably doesn't even work after 8 years. :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been pricing various products like these. I would like one that has necklace that I can always were with me. It is comforting to know that I can access help where ever I happen to be.

Diane Lane likes this.