Listening To Music

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Patsy Faye, May 5, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

If I could, I'd have a juke-box. I miss my radiogram too, if I had the room I'd buy one.
    I miss 'records' - now, all the songs are on an SD card, wonderful invention for sure,
    we have over 300 songs on a little card and plenty of room for more.
    I remember when my Dad would record music on a tape machine ……….
    Do you still have a record player ? Do you prefer the modern way of listening to music ?

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My record player bit the dust long ago. Would love to have a jukebox, set to play random selections.

I miss the FM radio playing music almost non-stop, when they would tell the name of the song and the artist, before each song.

We have an oldies FM station here, but they keep moving the oldies dates up by a decade every 10 years. I quit listening when it got to the 90's.

Apparently they weren't getting many listeners because I found out recently they have gone back to just oldies, and are pulling songs from at least as far back as the 80's. Maybe they finally realized that young people haven't listened to the radio for decades.

Don Alaska and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Agree
    I'm thankful to have the music I love stored and a back up copy, but given the choice a juke box would be just fab !
    I'd need 2 or 3 though :p

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

All music on cd's and a few on our iPhones. I really don't miss the old 8-Track or Cassette tapes/players. The tape would get caught up inside the player and, most of the time, ruin the tapes. I handle our cd's with extreme care, as I also do our dvd's.

We are into Motown, the country music from the old George Strait/Diamond Rio, Brooks & Dunn days, Classic Rock (Heart, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, Queen, BTO and so on AND Disco. Some "Oldies", but not much.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep - I don't miss cassette players, but thought they were great at the time

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

One time I made a short cassette tape with only songs I thought I liked the very best, just to play in the car. Soon memorized the order, and found myself impatient to get to certain ones. I didn't expect that to happen. :confused: [​IMG]

Discovered it was more fun to be surprised, like playing the radio. That's why I like your jukebox idea with random selections. But like you, I would need more than one.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

How I giggled at that - even now, years later - I hear a song and expect a song to follow, when it doesn't (because its now random)
    I think huh ? what happened there, where's the song - nice to be surprised though :p

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My Stereo System has a Turntable as well as an AM-FM Receiver and high-powered Amplifier feeding a pair of 15" Bass-Reflex Speakers in the corners of my 20' x 25' listening room, which is also my Billiard Parlor and my 27-foot Model Railroad Layout.

I play from my library of 33-1/3 rpm Vinyl Records, my Classical CD's, and my Cassette Tapes.

Besides the Classics, I have Jazz, Folk Music, and Sound Effects recordings that can be felt as well as heard!

No Rock, but I have some vintage Rhythm & Blues from the early '50's!
    Hal

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember when we had the huge wooden stereo systems, 4-5 feet long and you put a swan lamp on the top. I used to sit on the floor and listen to music for hours in the evening sometimes, and I think back and miss those times and the big stereo.
    For a while, I had a hanging lamp that flashed colors depending on the music, so it would synchronize with the song that was playing, and I loved that the very best.
    I had a huge selection of records that I played on the phonograph part of the stereo, both 33 and 45 rpm.

Now, I listen to either Spotify or Pandora and use my headphones so I don’t disturb Bobby, and try not to sing along with the music. Pandora is perfect when I want it to surprise me, and Spotify is good because I can have playlists and hear the songs that I feel like playing at that time.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Was that later - in the 80s ?
    The idea was popular here, with a single flower in a pot that would dance to the music, how I wanted that dancing flower, by the time I got round to getting one -
    I couldn't find one !
    Maybe they've made a comeback, I'll take a look :cool: :p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - Had a look on Amazon and yuk - the ones they do now are 'orrible plastic things
    don't wanna see them dance :p

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The one that I had was from Sears or Montgomery Ward, if I remember right and cost under $25. It was one of those long cylinder hanging lamps on a chain that plugged in at the wall and then hung from a ceiling hook. We had them in all styles, colors and sizes here for a while, and I am thinking that it was early 1970’s when I had mine.
    It was the only one that I have ever found that worked like it did.
    There were red, blue, green, yellow, and purple lights inside of the lamp, and depending on the music, different colors flashed in tune with the song that was playing, so it was never the same, and was like watching the song in color (or something like that).
    I have seen speakers for stereos that flash, but they seem to do it randomly, and not like the one that I used to have.
    Mine looked something like this one.

40461971-AD02-496A-A36D-C1211E600C7A.jpeg

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Sounds good - that's how the 'flower' was, looked so cute to the music
    Wish I'd bought that flower !

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At our local Waffle House, there is a Juke Box. Each time we go there for breakfast, I get the thing going. Two songs the employees really know...…..Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry and September by Earth-Wind and Fire.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

2 great songs !!