Local Tv Shows

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by John Brunner, May 15, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a half-hour television show that's sponsored by the local owner of a string of car, motorcycle and RV dealerships.

It showcases local musicians, and also serves as a stage for their families. I've been watching off & on since I moved here in 2010, and have seen one granddaughter singing since she was 12. The other granddaughter (maybe a little older) dropped out a while ago. Some of the singers are OK, and some are downright painful...it's like Karaoke Night with live backup (who are often good local musicians.) There was one young woman who wrote her own songs, sang and played guitar. She was very good, but had a short-lived tenure.

It airs on the local ABC affiliate at 7:30PM Saturdays (so it's no late night PBS slot.) The wife of the dealerships owner hosts the show with her granddaughter, who takes us into and out of commercial breaks. I bet she was 5 years old the first time I saw her doing this.

Grandma on the right, granddaughter in the middle​
    Virginia Dreams.jpg

It's interesting to see them more or less pay for a stage for such a long time, in part for their children and grandchildren. Every commercial is for one of their dealerships...I don't believe they sell any slots to any other businesses except the sound studio, who I don't believe is affiliated.

Dunno why I felt like posting this, other than I am watching now and I've not seen anything like this before (and the remaining singing granddaughter still has pitch issues.) It's kinda "local quaint" on the one hand, and "look what I can buy" on the other.

Marie Mallery and Sunny Bonet like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

What a strange concept! Now if they rename it "All In the Family", maybe it will take off!

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy watching kids and some are more taaloented than others of course. Out of my 6 granfs I tried to teach to sing only 3 could actually sing.but it was fun .
    Although we haven't had cable or tv stations for 25 years now by choice we still have online.

John Brunner likes this.