Logging In

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It happens when posting or responding.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is something that has been happening to us, too, and not just with posting on the forum. One second, the WiFi is working fine, and the next second, we are not connected. My daughter uses Comcast, and we use AT&T, and she has the same problem. She thinks that it might be something to do with the last Apple iOS upgrade.
    If you switch to using the hotspot on your new iPhone, it will stay connected; so it is not anything to do with the forum, and maybe is something that is only happening to people using an Apple device.

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I haven't had a problem as far as losing a connection but, for some reason, both my iMac and MacBook switch connections from time to time. Our ISP comes with four connections and, for some reason, they don't all have the same connection strength, although it varies from time to time. The only thing I can think of is that the Mac will look for the strongest signal and then switch over to a strong signal. If so, I suppose there would have to be a moment during the switch where I am disconnected, but I haven't noticed that. There's probably an option where I can tell it to stay where it is, but it hasn't caused any problems for me so I haven't looked. Anyhow, your connection is between you, your computer, your modem, your router, and your ISP. Neither the forum or any other website is going to disconnect you from the Internet.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I've not had the problem at all. I would think it's pretty annoying though.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Has happened to me three times in last few mintues.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Each time I leave the forum for the past day or so, I must log back in even though I have clicked in the box to stay logged in. I do not log out so I wondered what is going on as it is annoying to have to sign in each time.

Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well there's a surprise, are you sure its this forum Lois ?
    As far as I know you stay logged in for a short time :) Its only a couple of clicks to log back in though

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just checked and can see the box for 'stay logged in' but I've never seen your name here constantly

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I think that has to do with the computer system or browser rather than the forum itself. I think the intention is for someone to not have to enter their username and password each time, as I get that option for several other sites, as well, but it's up to the local computer to hold the login, not the forum software. Your login would be retained in the form of a cookie that resides on your computer. Depending on the computer system, default options, or the options chosen, cookies may be regularly deleted for security purposes, to free up space, or for other reasons. My system will automatically log me out if I'm inactive for a while, but my password system fills the username and passwords in for me, so that's not a problem.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

What browser are you using?

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Maybe you need to clear your cookies and do a 'restart' on the computer
    but like I said, never seen your name here 'constantly' my darlin' @Lois Winters

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Lois Winters

Registered

Patsy, what do you mean by constantly? I cannot be here all day long with my schedule. I do have a life outside of the forum. I stop in and check out some games, post a joke or two, some music and see if there are any threads I can contribute significantly to. Today, I did not have to go through the log in process. Do you keep track of who is and who is not on here on a regular basis? If so, I wonder why?

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Lois - I hope there's not a 'tone' to your post - sorry if I didn't make meself clear
    What I meant was - If you are constantly logged in, your member name would be visible constantly instead of the usual
    half hour, why would it disappear.
    I don't have to 'keep track' of anyone, its very visible who is on the forum, for instance,
    your name has now disappeared from the member list box, in other words - 'logged out'
    Do you mean the system 'remember me' where you don't have to physically type in your name and password ?

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  14. Lois Winters

Registered

Yes, it was asking me to log in each time. Even if I'd been off for a few moments. It has corrected itself. I rarely check the list of who is here and that was why I had asked the question, Patsy. Usually, I can tell by what time the posts have been made as to who is here. Especially if I play some of the games. We tend to walk all over each other at times. That's all. I simply wondered how one would know who was here, when and why the interest?

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have occasionally had to re-log in , too; but I think that it is something to do with my ipad, and not the forum. Even if we stay logged in, the forum only shows people who are active right then, or have been active recently.
    So, even though we stay signed in, and don’t have to go through the process on our computer, the forum is not actually showing us there 24 hours a day.
    I always look first thing, to see who is online, and then check my alerts, and then browse.