Looking For A Church To Join... Again

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Chrissy Cross, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Good Luck!! Perhaps going to church, whether for religion or social stuff, is really what you need. Just have fun and SMILE!!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the replies....it won't be easy for me, I know when Sunday roles around I may have second thoughts....I have before.

But I need to get out more....I'm in a deep rut this last year. Think partly because my role as grandmother has changed with my older grandsons...I'm just not needed to watch them as much and even when I am, it's different....they are older and into their own devices more.

No more Lego building etc

And I'm too far away from the younger ones...

Need to find my niche ....it's not what it once was.

I started with Curves....I'm meeting some women but want more than just seeing them at exercise.

Church may not be the answer but it's a good safe place to start.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A church isn’t the building but the body of believers. Some people go just to congregate with like minded people, others wish to be comforted and still others are looking for answers. I have also found that some people go to meet someone of their own faith and of the opposite sex and others simply wish to socialize or maybe find their mission in life.

Whatever your reason is for going, it’s a step and if the church is Christ oriented, it’s a good step. We’re not supposed to simply sit around listening to lectures and genuflecting because the body of Christ (the church) has so much more to offer. There are undoubtedly other people who are looking for the same things as you are and perhaps this small move might prove to be fruitful.
    I am praying that such will be the case.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks @Bobby Cole ....coming from someone with your background...means a lot!

Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that this is a great plan, and would be an easy way for you to start making friends at church. The lady from Curves would probably be happy to pick you up or just meet you at the church, and then introduce you to her friends there, as well as to the pastor.
    Going to church, or not going to church, really does not have anything to do with how spiritual you are inside, and going for the social part is basically what most people truly do, when you come right down to it.
    We can all sit at home and pray or study the Bible, but we go to church for the fellowship of other Christians, and that is exactly what you are wanting to do, as well.
    So, I say.......go, enjoy yourself, make some friends, and if you volunteer for something, you will become everybody’s Darling !

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Yvonne....like I said in my post, I would love to volunteer for watching the babies if they don't stick to a strict schedule.

I'm never home for the holidays etc.

I won't see that lady until Monday though..so if I go this Sunday, it will be by myself. I may see her there though....who knows.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You could also pray about it....;)

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross Eight years ago when we moved to Oklahoma my wife wanted to find a church and maybe make some friends. I wouldn't do it. But now I wish I had. Neither of us have friends; we might have had we followed her wishes. Many people go to church for social reasons. I regret we didn't.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

As long as you’re still above ground Bill, it’s never too late.:)

10. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think it's a good idea to lie about your faith, or lack thereof. Particularly in a church. :)

But frankly, I have "tried out" more churches than I can count, and I cannot imagine a pastor or a congregation turning anyone away for such a reason. If it were to happen, it would be a not-so-good fit for you anyway, and it would be better to know that right away.

I think I mentioned it before, but I spent a few years in a convent, and the nuns impressed upon us all that walking into a church that isn't Catholic is a mortal sin. I'm guessing that one of your parents embedded that idea in your childhood.

But the Bible does not say anything at all about the Catholic Church or Protestant Church (likely because neither existed when the Bible was being written.

I imagine that you've banished one or more of the things your parents warned you about, no? This is one of those things that should probably join those things.
    I said all that to say just this: Go. If you don't like it, don't go back. If you do, go back.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks for your advice @Michelle Anderson ...it wasn't my parents who warned me about anything or even pushed religion.

They weren't very religious either....just Catholics.

Sent me to a Catholic school for a few years because at that time it was the better school.

True also...I don't have to stay if not welcomed...there are many non denominational churches here but they are usually huge.

Bobby Cole and Michelle Anderson like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The smaller, more “homey” churches sometimes do have day care facilities and some who do not might be looking for someone to start one for them.
    I told a struggling pastor from New Mexico that he might try to find some retired lady in his church who would like to babysit infants. Many moms are on the welfare rolls because they can’t afford to have someone watch their young one while they work and many retired ladies are like you, bored and wouldn’t mind at all caring for an infant.
    As it turned out, the idea eventually became a full part of their ministry because the single mothers also opted to become part of the congregation.
    If anything, should you find a nice small church home, you might suggest something along the lines of babysitting for single moms and see how it works out.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

This church does have volunteers for watching the children....different age groups also.

I don't mind and actually would enjoy it for an hour but do not want to watch kids any longer than that. :)

Michelle Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes ...go your only visiting..not committing to anything. If you like it go back..if not pick another one.
    Even if your reason for going is not religion based...things change . Listen to your gut feelings :)

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.