Looking For A Church To Join... Again

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Chrissy Cross, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know if I'll be going today....I'm upset...near tears.

I made a boohoo with my AT&T Uverse bill.:(

I was sure I paid last months right before I went to my daughter's ...online. I must not have clicked on the final step of confirming.

I never look at that email acct because I always pay my bill on time.

Just went this morning to pay for this month and my bill was $360!!!! With a past due of $173!

So I started checking my online bank acct etc....seems I didn't pay last month. :(

Anyway, now I'm going to be working on cancelling those thieves and just getting internet...I never watch TV anyway or use my landline but I think I need my landline for my ADT security service but not sure so I'll have to call them on Monday.

Im overwhelmed! :(

Who should I just get internet from? I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Anyway, I found last weeks service on YouTube...haven't watched the whole thing but it looks like a nice church ...

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Hmmmm....kind of a looong sermon/service.

I thought Catholic mass was long!

After watching this...I'm not sure anymore.

He is entertaining ..for a bit. :)

Probably best I wait to see on Wednesday what some other ladies might suggest at the luncheon.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

He mentions he's going to be talking about He'll this Sunday. That I think I'll pass on.

I did listen to the whole sermon and I think,this church might be too strict for me religion wise.

He is very casual and easy going but the message might not be right for me at this time....I need to ease into religion more slowly....

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since you already have your phone, internet and television through AT&T, it would probably be simple just to cancel the TV part of the contract. that way, you do not have to have your phone and internet shut down while you find a different provider. We had the DirecTV/internet bundle through ATT, and that worked for us. I didn’t have to send the old modem back, or have new installation, they just turned off the DirecTV part, and I sent the satellite box back and that was it.
    I think that just internet was about $40, but probably more when you include the phone. ( I changed to the low-income senior plan, so mine is only $10, and I am not sure what the regular price is; so the $40 is just what I think I was paying before.)
    You should be able to look at you bill and see how much you are paying for the internet and phone part of the plan.

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm paying $87 for Direct TV and $60 for internet. Too much! @Yvonne Smith

I don't even watch TV except TBS at night to fall asleep on reruns of Big Bang...pathetic.

They keep upping the price...Ive gone thru deals and contracts etc...I'm done.

Not sure but my phone is about $20...total for the month is $173 with taxes and crap. It was $203 a couple months ago but I called them and then got it down to $173. For the first time in 12 yrs I somehow managed not to pay last months bill...I thought I did but then didn't check my acct because I was heading to daughter's that morning.

What a surprise that $360 was....Thankfully the 4th Wednesday this month for my widows benefits is the 22nd :)

I'm paying about $8 a month for some sports thing and it's the law in CA....grrrrrrrr

Also @Yvonne Smith ...who takes down the satellite dish???

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also to get back on topic but I don't care because I'm famous for going off topic and it doesn't bother me but

I looked at a few other videos of sermons from this church and I like the pastor but the message is toooo strict for me.

I need a church that caters to lost souls...who are just searching for something...

I'm not an atheist but not a big believer in the Bible....I can believe in a creator or supreme being but that's about it.

There are so many people like me...is that what a nondenominational church is??

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

No one takes down the satellite dish. You only have to return the control box, and that can go to either an ATT place if there is one close, or you can take it to any UPS store and they send it back (free).

As far as finding a church, I agree that it is a good idea to try out a few that are close by and that you feel comfortable driving to. Also, some churches (larger ones) send out a bus on Sunday and pick up people for church.
    You might actually prefer one of the larger churches, Chrissy .
    Simply because they are so large, most of the messages are fairly short and casual, and there is a lot of social things going on, whereas some of the smaller churches tend to be more strict in their beliefs than the larger ones do.
    Often the large churches will have some kind of a “coffee&cookies”, either before or after church, and the large churches also have more focus on different groups, like seniors or singles.

We have attended some churches that would really get upset if you didn’t have a King James Bible, and used one of the more modern translations, and it was just a small church that believed this way.
    Of course, not all small churches are that way, either, and some can be the most friendly place in the world. But if you are thinking of more social activities, you might want to check out some of the large non-denominational churches.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks @Yvonne Smith

I'll follow your advice on both the church and just dropping direct TV for now...less stressful that way and gives me time to look for better internet deals.

I'm going to make them come out anyway because my internet goes out almost every day...need to reset my gateway all the time...I want a new one!!

It's gonna be a tough night without a tv though...have to get used to it. I just need something I can listen to...I close my eyes on Big Bang anyway.

Guess I'll find something on my iPad that plays for a few hrs.

I'm weird.

There's a huge church near me....I'll try it again...went with my ex once but he didn't care for it but then he was religious.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

No, a non-denominational church is simply one that is not affiliated with a denomination. They can come in all flavors, some being far stricter or legalistic than the denominational churches. With a non-denominational church, the strictness or leniency of the church mostly depends on the preacher, or it might depend on the congregation who hires the preacher. That's true, to some extent, with many of the denominational churches as well, but more so in the non-denominational ones.

When the West was first being populated, most towns had one church. They became known as "community churches," and they tended to focus only on those things that were clear and necessary for salvation, because they served people from all sorts of denominational backgrounds, from Catholics to Baptists, and everywhere in between. So they focused on those things that few Christians disagreed with, and let people believe what they wanted to believe about all the other stuff that denominations fight over.

As the towns grew into cities, denominational churches were established, but many of the community churches remained, and tend to be truly non-denominational, and are networked into a loose affiliation of churches that usually use "community church" in their name. Sometimes they will refer to themselves as interdenominational. They are found mostly in the Western states, so that might be a good choice. They tend to be, not necessarily liberal, but less demanding because not everyone there is expected to believe the same things about everything.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive looked at a few nondenominational ones online and I'm just not finding what I'm looking for.

They are religious also it seems.

Why is it so hard to find a church that caters to people who aren't atheists but aren't that religion either.

Maybe I need a Buddhist church :)

I'm almost tempted to go back to Catholic. :)

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You could try Catholicism once again Chrissy, as there are differences among churches and among diocese'. Catholics seem to be lees judgmental then many Protestant churches, so you may find that agreeable, but they tend to be less social as well, which is why you want to go to church anyway. I college, we had a group called "Sermon Tasters" who attended church at a different location every weekend. Usually the pastor, priest, or church leader was notified that we were coming, but no one else was. The purpose was to find the church or religion that best suited each person, so the membership fluctuated as people found "homes", and we gained other "searchers". I doubt such a thing exists any longer, but you could do that on your own. If you are unhappy with Christianity, you could try the Baha'i group, if you find one there.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, except for bingo...Catholics are boring and so is bingo, lol.

I'm just kidding...love Catholics:)

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Maybe I'll give up on looking for a church and check out the smelly seniors center again. :)

I am all over the place and chances are I'll probably move from here within a year.

Maybe...

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross , I watched a large part of that sermon. My advice; don't go there. He is a hellfire and damnation preacher. He aims to scare sinners into being "Saved" with visions of eternal torment in burning flames.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.