Looking For Advice On Portable Air Conditioners

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Neville Telen, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

I will be buying a portable air conditioner early next month. Done research, and whittled the choices down to these:
    1. Amana AMAP121AD
    2. Black & Decker BPACT14WT
    3. Edgestar AP14003W
    4. Keystone KSTAP14CL
    5. Koldfront PAC1402W
    All the above models seem to be about equal, as far as I can tell, so would like to hear the opinions of others...good or bad. I'm in a dinky studio apartment with two tiny windows (biggest is 22"wide x36"). I don't know the square footage. Bedroom is 86" tall x 96" x 111". Bath is around 90" tall x 76" x 84". Kitchen is around 96" tall x 200" x 80". Considering how small this studio is, it shouldn't require a lot of BTUs to cool, but I've focused on overkill (better too much than not enough). The noise level is probably the most important factor, but I don't see much difference between the five models. Anyway, please let me know which of these you would pick, and why.

2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

We have several of these type A/C cooling units at work to put in smaller
    areas and they perform pretty well.

You are right, not a lot of difference between units.
    12,000 to 14,000 BTU's is standard for this type of stand alone units.

A couple of factors:

- Exhaust hose must be vented to the outside through your window.
    ( all have a kit for this )

- Units can draw up to 10 amps, so might need have to have it plugged in
    on an outlet by itself.

- After it arrives from the carrier, wait at least 24 hrs before using the unit.
    It may have been placed on it's side during transport and the oil needs to settle
    back into the condenser. Very important thing to remember.

As to which brand, they are all known brands ( Edgestar and Koldfront are from the
    same company, while Amana and Black & Decker are reliable companies.)

When I buy, the dealer or store I buy from is the key factor.
    Do they stand behind the items they sell?

Our last couple of major purchases have been through Wayfair and we were
    very satisfied with their packaging and support. We will continue to use them
    for a lot of items. Not an endorsment, just my opinion of the company.

Hope this helps, and hope you beat the heat. :)

Neville Telen and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, I'm aware of the exhaust hose stuff, and been getting a lot of people on other forums saying to only buy a dual hose model. Problem with that is whether or not it would fit my tiny window. I assume the screen would have to come out, and be replaced by the adapter, and the screen is just 22" wide by 16". The hose(s) look pretty big in all the pictures I've seen...I'd guess maybe 8 to 10" diameter? Getting two hoses to fit would be pretty iffy. I've heard a lot of whining on Amazon, NewEgg, etc., about crappy shipping and models damaged in transit, so I wouldn't gamble on that. I'd probably be buying through Home Depot, only because I can have it shipped for free to their local store (about 15 blocks from me), and inspect the box for damage before I accept delivery.

Tim Burr likes this.