Lost In Space

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a remake of Lost in Space by Netflix Originals. I have barely started watching the first episode, but it looks like it is going to pretty good. They aren't going as much for the comedy as they did in the original, but I think I read that the original intention of the original was for it to be not so much of a comedy. There is some humor but it's more of a drama, so far.

The characters are compelling, the acting is good, and I think I'm going to like it. As might be expected, the effects are much better than in the original. The robot is not at all like in the original. Dr. Smith hasn't shown up yet, but I think he will.

Von Jones and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

She. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but SHE needs to be exorcized!
    Even though Dr. Smith is much more dangerous than the original, the rest of the show seems to be extremely well done.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Technically, the actual Dr. Smith in the series was a guy. She stole his place, so the one we'll be dealing with is a she, yes. She shows up at the end of the first episode. The original series was intended to be more dramatic than comedic, and Dr. Smith was intended to be threatening. They decided that the viewers wanted to be able to like everyone, and I guess they decided that it would work better as a comedy.

Later... Episode 2 provided some clarity. At the end of episode one, I was under the impression that she had stole some guy's identity, but I see now that it was her sister's. I think she does a good job of filling the role that Dr. Smith was supposed to be in the original.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved Lost in Space when I was a kid...Dr Smith didn't frighten me when I was a child...I liked him lol.... so he's now a woman is he? I loved the robot, what's the difference between the original and the new one?

5. Ken Anderson

In the new one, the robot appears to have been developed by an alien race, and was used in warring with human beings. I won't go into details, but this one was damaged, was rescued by Will Robinson, and seems to have bonded. Not everyone is comfortable with him/it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I enjoyed Netflix's original of Lost in Space. It's a real sci-fi movie.

The robot was very intimidating to me too. I kept wondering when it was going to malfunction and hurt someone. And Dr. Smith, tsk, tsk, tsk. she plays the conniving part very well though I don't think there was much info about her given. She was very, very smart and I'd like to know how she became so smart.

All in all a very good series.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Mama knows..........

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just finished watching the first episode....not really my type of series to watch but I'm bored right now and couldn't find anything better.

My grandsons would probably like it....maybe they're watching it.

It's a little predictable in my opinion...

9. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

Haven't seen this version, and probably will not (unless it ends up on DVD), but in the original Lost In Space, Dr. Smith was quite the dark villain in the first season, then Hollyweird decided to turn him into the jester. It went downhill from there, but I have it on DVD, and still watch it.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Exactly, they decided that the audience needed to like him.

Neville Telen likes this.
  11. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I recall, the Hollyweird bigwigs had originally intended the show for adult audience, then switched it to target children about half way through the first season, and began making it ever more child-friendly (i.e. saccharine). About from the second season onwards, the focus was no longer on an assembly cast, but on Will & Dr. Smith.....with everyone else just glorified extras.

12. Ken Anderson

Yes, it was intended to be drama, with perhaps some comedy included, which is pretty much what the newer one is.