Love Affair

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ike Willis, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in those summer days of 1956, I was in love. No, it wasn't with a girl, gun or dog. It was with an old style outboard motor. I don't know the horsepower, but it would make the old wooden Jon boat dad and I built, skim over the water in a most satisfying way.
    Much to the concern of my dad, I would take the old motor and head for a place called "The brakes, or breaks" not sure which is correct.
    It's a place of connected ponds, sloughs and waterways, with an in/outlet to the Mississippi River. Once settled in the boat, I would wind the started rope around the top flywheel and pull. On a good day, it only took 2 or 3 pulls to start. Then, I would thread my way to the outlet at about 1/4 throttle, so as not to alarm people fishing nearby.
    Once out into the river, I would ram the throttle hard open. The motor would go into it's high pitched whine, the boats nose would rise, wind and spray would be in my face, and I knew what freedom felt like.
    The old wooden boat seemed to only touch water every so often. I loved the speed, the wind, everything about it. When my dad was along, it made him a nervous wreck though. He would be yelling stuff at me that I couldn't hear over the motor, all the while he would be gripping the side rails of the boat with white knuckles.
    One day I came home from school to find the space in the basement usually occupied by the motor, empty. Dad said he sold it, for my own good.
    My folks did a lot of stuff "for my own good". I'm surprised they let me out of their sight before I turned 21.:)
    The photo below is similar to the motor I had. Mine seemed larger and was quite heavy.
    jnsnA1.jpg

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Cool motor, Ike!:cool:
    [​IMG]

Krissttina Isobe and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Good one, Joe.:)

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill Boggs and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I went from fishing boats to something a littler bigger :)

[​IMG]

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a different thing for each of us that sets our hearts free and lets us fly...but flying is a wonderful thing. I'm glad you "fell in love" with something that made your heart fly @Ike Willis, especially before your wings got clipped and you had to be grounded. :)

Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Live Bait and.........

[​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.