Love Sweet Bell Peppers

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Went over to Kroger, wife stayed home, got my Weekly Reader (free), then cruised over to the surplus produce rack. We buy much of our produce that way, it's all bagged in those red net bags I hate, hold about a cauliflower-sized volume, all 99 cents each. Today, I counted 17 bags of beautiful peppers, all colors except green. Called wife: stuffed peppers maybe? Pretty please?

She said get 2 or 3 bags; they looked perfect, sometimes they put 4 in a bag, today only 3. I got 4 bags. Love them with sausage, usually house-brand pork, meandered over to the meats, found only Jimmy Dean @ $4.19 (1 lb chubs), she'd kill me. Right there, Turkey sausage, gotta be better for us house brand, on sale $1.20 off for $2.99. Last chubs we bought on sale for $1.49, but not turkey. I got 2, knowing the fan would blow stinky for awhile.

Got back, she liked the peppers, not cracked about the sausage price, even on sale, even turkey. Tomorrow she will use the cauliflower in the fridge to make "rice", and instead of all the work of stuffing the peppers, suggested we cut them all up, just mix the filling with them and bake. OK with me!

4 bags @ 99 cents each:
    [​IMG]
    Red ones USA, Yellow Canada, Orange Mexico.

4 of them cut up. I LOVE meat and peppers! Sorry, @Yvonne Smith , that's how it is!
    [​IMG]

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Those look good, Frank. I buy sweet peppers and cut them up like that, then into bags and put them in the freezer. When I want to use them in a recipe I can just dig out what I want then return the bag to the freezer.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds good. That's the kind of "stuffed" peppers I might try.

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    Exactly what we do! My drawback is lack of knowledge of what returns to original texture, crispy say, rather than mush after thawing. I always ask my wife, as she has superior knowledge on this.
    Frank

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

After freezing, they are "good enough" to use for cooking. For fresh salads, not so much. The flavor is still there but the texture is definitely degraded.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Why the “sorry” for me @Frank Sanoica ?
    I love bell peppers with meat, too ! We usually buy those 99 cent ones from Kroger, and then I cut them up , bag them, and we freeze them for use in all kinds of meals.
    Sadly, the Kroger that was close to us just recently closed, and it is now a drive of several miles to get to one of the other ones here in Huntsville, so we are not shopping at Kroger anymore, unless we happen to be in the vicinity of one of the other ones for some reason, and have time to stop and shop.
    The stores close to us now (Baby Wally and Aldi) don’t do the markdown specials like Kroger did, and I miss all of those good manger specials.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    For some reason I thought you were Vegan. Sorry, again!
    Frank

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica This is how they feel when you cut them up. Bell Pepper lives matter...........:D
    download - 2019-09-18T183733.487.jpeg