Low Carb Diet Plans

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

What's a good breakfast, lunch or dinner is an omelet with some cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers, and diced red onions. You can use all eggs or mix with egg whites.

My daughter always makes a smoked salmon appetizerfor the holidays and everything but the eggs are in it, so with the leftovers we make omelets the next day...very filling!

She puts more salmon and capers in hers, I just use enough for flavor because of the sodium....but still delicious.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My daughter emailed me the recipe so here it is for anyone that wants it.. @Yvonne Smith.

http://margeburkell.com/low-carb-muffins-in-mug-recipes/

Also, it's important to add the cinnamon. My daughter tried it without first time and it wasn't good.

Next time she followed the recipe and it was delicious, you can't taste the cinnamon but for some reason it's needed.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I tried Chrissy's muffin recipe this morning, and it came out great ! I added a half scoop of chocolate protein powder to the recipe, and that gives it a little bit of chocolate muffin flavor as well as extra protein. I ended up cooking it for 2 minutes in my microwave to get done in the middle, and after it cooled, I ate it with butter and a dribble of sugar-free syrup. It was delicious, and easy to make. I only ate half because it filled me up, so I still have the rest for a snack tonight.
    Next time, I am going to try making it with part almond flour, and maybe a little less flax and more protein powder for the chocolate taste.
    I like being able to microwave myself a bread-type of food for when I want a sandwich or something similar. The next project is going to be some low-carb tomato jam.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

So, tonight I made the ultimate low-carb stovetop one-person pizza "casserole", and it totally satisfied any pizza cravings that i had.
    Years ago, i used to have an old church cook book that had a recipe for baked zucchini stuffed with pizza toppings, and it was scrumptious. I wanted to make something similar, but easy to make on the stovetop.
    I sliced up a small zuke, cooked it with a few bell pepper slices in a small frying pan, and then added some pepperoni when the veggies were almost done. After that, I put a little tomato sauce on top, turned the burner to really low, and added cheese and italian seasoning, covered it and let the cheese and tomato sauce melt in.
    The cheese held everything together, and i cut it in half and just slid it onto my small plate, and ate it with a fork, since you can't pick it up without some kind of real crust.
    It had all of that pizza flavor, and took about five minutes to make. You could add just about anything that you like on a pizza, and it would work.
    Bobby tried some, too, and he said that he liked it.
    This is something that you could make easily, @Ina I. Wonder , and make whatever size you want it. I bet if there were leftovers, Bobert would like it, too.
    There is almost no carbs in the whole thing, but it immensely satisfying.

To make the actual oven casserole, you just slice the zucchini' s lengthwise, core them out, cook the cored out part in with some hamburger, then put the tomato sauce, hamburger filling, and any veggies you like on pizza into the zucchini logs, add cheese on top and bake for about a half hour or so. This will feed several people if you make a large one, and two people easy if you make a small one.

5. Yvonne Smith

I watched an incredible movie tonight about a child who was having seizures, and none of the treatments or drugs were helping, and in fact, the poor little fellow kept getting worse and worse, and it was looking like he might either die or end up severely retarded.
    The movie is called "First, Do No Harm", and it stars Meryl Streep. They end up taking the child to John Hopkins University, where he is placed on the ketogenic diet, and the see improvement in his condition right away.
    Although this is a movie, it is based on a true story, and some of the actors in the movie are actually other people who were on the ketogenic diet for seizures, and recovered.
    Here is the link on Youtube where you can watch the whole movie. This is a very emotional movie.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I see the movie was made in 1997, how is the child now? I didn't watch the movie...don't like sad ones.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Today I bought a beet and an avocado and some hard boiled eggs, tomorrow I'm going to make those pretty deviled eggs.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page & @Yvonne Smith OK, ok you two, I'm going to the store tomorrow. You two are making me hungry! :D

I'm going to the new Kroger's that just opened a couple of weeks ago. It's the biggest store I've seen so far. It's bigger than our largest Walmart. :confused:

This place has a wine and beer bar in it, with a real bar and bar stools. I can just see the husbands getting into taking the wifey to go grocery shopping. I admit this boggles my mind. :eek:

Anyway, they should have a large selection of health food products, so I'm going to see what I can find. o_O

Yvonne, your pizza sounds yummy, but If Bobert had any, it would be because the zucchini had disappeared. I've only recently been able to get him to agree to eating out of the kitchen fair instead of fast foods or frozen. :mad: :rolleyes:

Chrissy, I want some toooooo. I hope to make some soon for Thanksgiving. I would be doing good to eat two or three halves, so too much would go to waste if I fixed any now. :(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

I went to our Kroger today, too. I found the low-carb tortillas, ad they are 5 carbs each, so doable. They list as more carbs, but most of it is fiber , which is good for us, and doesn't digest like other carbs, so you can always subtract fiber from total carbs.
    I also got the psyllium husks and some more chia seeds; so I am good to go with a few more of the recipes. I made low-carb raspberry-tomato jam, and it is about 1 carb per tablespoon, so I can have that on my keto bread or muffins.
    I can send you the recipe if you want to make it.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

You bet @Yvonne Smith , and If I may, I'd like to know the name of the low carb tortillas. I love tortillas with almost everything, and as long as I can have them, I have no problem giving up the other high carb foods, :p

11. Yvonne Smith

Well, @Ina I. Wonder , the tortillas were Mission Carb Balance, with 6 net carbs after you minus out the fiber. However, I was busy looking at carb grams and such and didn't realize that these were almost $5 for a pack of 8 small tortillas. I am NOT spending that much for tortillas ever again ! !
    I looked on Amazon, and they are even higher on there, so I am going to learn to make my own from the keto recipes online. That was 12 oz of tortilla, so the actual price was over $5 per lb. , for a tortilla..... Crazy !
    I tried the raspberry jam, and it is delicious. The salsa, like the ketchup, is not the bright red of commercial salsa, but the taste is great. Both of them are only about a gram per 1 oz serving, so they are something that I can add to my food list.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mission has too much sodium for me so I buy mine, forget the name.

I pay $3.49 for 8.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Ok now @Chrissy Page, your just going to have to look for the name of those tortillas. I'm a nut when it comes to tortillas. I'll even eat them with just a little butter, or maybe a little melted Swiss cheese. Other than tortillas, I don't eat many starchy foods. They make my tummy hurt.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thanks Chrissy!!! Your faster than I.