Low Carb: Problems, And Ideas

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

This is for us to discuss any problems or give ideas to others...... for example, let me start...

Water...
    Drink lots and lots and lots of plain water each and every day.. coffee, tea, diet drinks or any other form of liquid doesn't count, but plain water... I like ice water and I drink about 80 or so ounces daily..
    Yes the toilet becomes my best friend, but we must flush out our system......

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I drink about 2 litres a day already..always have done...

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thing is, at our ages, I read that we aren't suppose to drink anything after a certain time before bed.

We drink our share of water and it's all bottled water (Dasani).

4. Steve North

Registered

Cody....
    I agree that after about 8:00pm, if we keep on drinking, we will be up all night in the toilet..
    That isn't the most likeable thing..
    As far as what kind of water one drinks, it doesn't matter.. Personally, we have fresh country water up here and I drink it from the tap..

5. Holly Saunders

Registered

Our water is very good ..so we also drink straight from the tap...

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Steve North

Registered

I would just like to say that I am on maintenance and the food we eat isn't 100% on the low carb way of life..
    I do maintain a low carb way of life that will keep me at the weight I am at now...
    I stay away from the obvious (of course) such as bad desserts or foods that I know are a big NO NO...

For those of you that are wondering how I got here, it is plain and very simple..
    Just stay away from 5 foods and the rest is OK within reason.. There 5 foods are 100% out of consideration... NO WAY !!!!
    They are................
    Flour...... anything made with any kind of flour which means pasta, bread, cakes, or anything that contains flour...
    Sugar.. anything that contains sugar or any kind of sugar.. I use a sweetener called "Splenda" but there are several different ones..
    Rice ... anything that contains rice of any form.. Absolutely NO rice.. Not even those rice cakes...
    Potatoes. Potatoes are very high in carbs and are definitely out even potato flour or anything containing potato..
    Corn... anything containing corn of any kind.. That means corn starch, corn flour, corn meal, or corn of any kind..

THAT'S IT !!!!

Now, there are certain kinds of flour that are OK........... For example....
    Almond flour is OK as it is made from almonds..
    Wheat gluten flour is also extremely low in carbs..

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's a basic handy list Steve, thanks for that...

So no pies..no cakes , no spuds... no rice, no chocolate .. no deep fried foods... and no corn...

Oh well good thing I have plenty of worms in my garden...I think I'll go and eat them... :D

8. Steve North

Registered

Deep fried foods are OK..... Fried fish, meats or whatever..
    Just no potatoes..
    As far as cakes, pies, and chocolate goes, naturally they are carb loaded and it isn't going to do you any good as far as a weight loss goes..
    if you want to lose weight and keep on eating lots of food, try to adapt to the low carb method.... IT WORKS !!!

Worms are very good.. Lots of protein.. Try them in a stir fry with broccoli....

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

What about complex carbs, like beans? I found pinto beans very filling, boiled from dried beans.

Just under a half cup, with an ounce of melted cheddar cheese sprinkled on top, would keep me from getting hungry for hours, for only 250 calories. They freeze well too.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Steve North

Registered

Nancy..
    Are you concerned about carbs or calories ????
    Beans are OK after you are close to your desired weight, but in the beginning, why would you want to increase the carbs for just a few beans??
    There are so many other ways to feel full other than increasing the complex carbs.....
    however, if those beans make you comfortable, then go for it..
    How many pounds are you looking to lose ??? If just a few, that's one thing but if you are looking at 50 pounds or more, reconsider those beans....

Remember, 20 carbs a day is the maximum for "induction".. If you have over 20 carbs in one dish of a meal, what next ???

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Calories. .. I could stand to lose 8-10 pounds. Carrying an extra 10 pounds in the south is really noticeable in the summer. Complex carbs are slow to digest, unlike simple carbs. I don't understand the harm in CC's?

I could easily do 1000 calories a day with beans and cheese and never get hungry, only I'd get bored with it after a few days. lol ... Lost 30 pounds in 3 months in 2009, BMI down to 20.0, and kept it off for 5 years. Then it started creeping back slowly in 2015, a couple of pounds a year. Would like to get back there.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Steve North

Registered

if you are counting calories, then don't worry about the carbs.. Just go for them if that is what you can absorb..
    They are 2 different things...
    with a low carb way of life, you won't put back any weight as long as you continue to keep the carbs within your limit...
    With calorie counting, I'm sorry but I can't help you as I am not knowledgeable in it...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Calorie counting is difficult, as all calories are not equivalent. You already know that, as you referred to complex carbs vs. simple carbs, generally sugar. The simplest carb is alcohol, as it can be absorbed into cells with no insulin response whatsoever. Most carbs require insulin to cross the cell membrane, and insulin "stashes" calories as glycogen, hence "carb loading" in athletes. Insulin response (i.e., glycemic index) is inconsistent as well, since fructose has little or no insulin response, but knowledgeable folks realize that it is probably the worst sugar to chose...yada...yada...yada. Just eat a diet that makes sense to you, makes you feel good, and fits into your lifestyle. Carb avoidance is easy and make sgood sense to many people, but not all can tolerate it, and if you are very active, it can be detrimental.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Steve North

Registered

Exactly Don...
    Just eat a diet that you feel comfortable with and works for you.. Not everyone is OK with the calorie count or the carb count..
    Just remember that those FAD diets don't work on the long run.. What is most important is a controlled food plan that fits each individual life style..
    Before going on Low Carb, I tried a few of those quick fad diets and I couldn't get past the first few days with any of them.. None really worked till I was introduced to Atkins by my doctor and explained everything.. There were NO computers then to do the research or get informed like today..

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

I am glad there is an interest in this new topic.. Good or not...Agree or not.. We all have our opinions..
    Not everyone agrees with the system but everyone has a weight problem and weight loss would be good for them..
    Low carb is the most recognised way of losing weight and there are many different versions of it..

If you know of any other way to lose weight and to keep it off for life, please tell me as I am interested..
    Like I said, personally there isn't any other way for me to keep the weight off for ever..

OK.... time to let you know that .......................... WE ALL HAVE A DISEASE........................... ALL OF US ....
    It is called..... compulsive overeating....
    If we didn't have this disease, we wouldn't be overweight.. I for one am very bad when it comes to overeating.. Naturally the wrong foods..
    That is why the low carb food plan works perfect for me..
    Some people eat to live while I live to eat .......................... No good !!!
    Years ago went to Overeaters Anonymous but unfortunately that didn't work out very well, however it woke me up to the fact that I have a disease.. I have since controlled the amount of food I consume, but that doesn't mean I still don't have the disease..

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.