Low Carb: Problems, And Ideas

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Sugar is carbs.....
    You NEVER cut out all carbs...... NEVER !!!
    You reduce the amount of carbs but never zero...
    How can you ever eat all day and end up with zero carbs ??? Unless you have only water and that's all....

3. Steve North

Registered

Am I the only one that has problems eating foods that have been leftover and reheated ???
    We generally don't eat leftovers..
    Soups and certain other foods,....... yes...... But like the hamburger steaks, casseroles, salads, etc. ...... NO !!!!
    It isn't easy cooking for only the 2 of us and finishing everything, but I have learned to cut the recipes in half if not even less...

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Many moons ago, did low carb-but back then did not have all the info we have today. As of yesterday am putting myself on lower carb diet.
    Not Keto, not extreme carb cutting, but mush lower. Between not smoking, medicine, and whatever else, have grown to at least feel like a water buffalo.
    My main thing is to rid my middle of this accumulating rolls! I was not even this big during my pregnancies.
    Anyways will be stopping in to see what you all are up to in this area, and for tips and suggestions.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Steve--we don't particularly like most leftovers, either. So I have learned to adjust my recipes and the way I cook for 2 so that there's not leftovers to contend with.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We eat leftovers fairly often, and my wife takes them to work as her lunch, just as I often did while I was working. After all the kids left, we had difficulty scaling down to food for just wo, but there are seldom leftovers now unless they are intended, so we eat the same food two days in a row often.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    I really believe that as we age, the way we metabolize food changes. Also, keep in mind that the body's weight is comprised of materials the ratio of which changes with aging: namely, fat and muscle. I weigh what I did at age 20 right now, at 76, but, back then there was little fat and lots of muscle, bulging out all over (I lifted weights every 2-3 days). I was able to easily do 60 or more chin-ups; today I can barely pick up a bowling ball! So, fat replaced the muscle, but it's not really noticeable, because muscle weighs quite a bit more than fat.

Whew! Frank

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

Another problem I have is I don't want to make the same meal often.. I like to make something different every day.. That means not using chicken breast every day or not using the same idea every day...
    I made a list of about 25 or so ideas for meals, and I try to go down the list as much as possible.. That means I repeat a meal about every 3 weeks or so... Actually it turns out to be about every second week as some of the ideas are labour intensive and I just can't see myself in the kitchen for hours making supper...
    The same goes for the vegetables.. Different daily...

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

10. Steve North

Registered

Thanks Beth...
    it isn't the recipes I am short of, by no means... I have the LINDA'S LOW CARB site that I posted with about one thousand good recipes..
    I am always looking for another idea and I will be checking out your site..
    Besides, I like inventing my own concoctions especially in casseroles...
    Its the cooking for only 2 that I am concerned about.. Most recipes are for 4 or more, but I cut the recipe in half, if possible....
    Leftovers are not very popular in our house.. The garbage gets well fed...

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Full disclosure--I have not made any of his recipes, but he's a young man from India and he's entertaining to watch. He also has a full website of his recipes (which look good and seem easy) if videos are not your "thing". CLICK For WEBSITE

One thing I appreciate is that his cooking videos are "fast-forwarded" through steps and not long and boring. I think in his recent videos he's in Brighton England for some reason but I haven't watched enough to know why.

I'm buying spinach today and planning to make his creamed KETO spinach soup this week. It looks easy to make and has rave reviews. I'll let you know how it turns out. It seems that most of his recipes are small amounts; the soup makes only 2 servings.

12. Steve North

Registered

thanks Beth...
    I like soup especially this time of the year...

13. Steve North

Registered

Beth.....
    I just checked out your site and found a few good ides as well s some good recipes..
    Thanks..

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

As I said, I haven't tried any of his recipes, but some of them look really good. I watched his video on butter chicken yesterday and I'm going to have to try that.

15. Steve North

Registered

I like to take a recipe as a guideline, as what and how to cook it..
    however, I also like to change around the recipe to suit my way of cooking..
    I substitute items especially some exotic vegetables that we don't have up here..

As far as chicken goes, there must be about one thousand different chicken recipes...