Magnesium Deficiency, Most Of Us Have This Problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am just starting my study about the importance of magnesium; but from what I have already learned, it is of vital importance to everyone, yet most of us do not get enough magnesium in our diets, and we do not recognize the symptoms as being from a lack of magnesium.
    Most of you know, I have had a-fib, tachycardia, and other heart arrythmias for many years, I think stemming from a serious auto accident that I was in back in 1991.

By 2014, my heart was in total heart failure, with an ejection fraction of about 23%, and was in a-fib constantly.
    The cardiologist sent me for an ablation, and this worked for almost 2 years, and then I started having episodes again. Last summer, they did another ablation, and the doctor said that it was the last one they can do, and the next step would be a pacemaker.
    Since then, I have had episodes of tachycardia, and it has not really responded to medications.
    I do NOT want to have any more heart procedures, and I have been reading, looking for what can help the heart get better.

This led me to magnesium, and after some preliminary study, I stopped taking the cal/mag/zinc that i had been taking and got a 400mg magnesium supplement instead. I started taking it twice a day, and am now taking it 3 times per day, and have ordered 500 mg tablets.
    Since I started taking the magnesium, my heart has not even had one bad little flutter, and it has been beating with a steady rhythm, night and day.
    It seems to me like it even feels stronger, and I have only been taking the magnesium for less than a week now.

While reading, I learned that many of the other illnesses and pain that we have can also be caused by magnesium deficiency, and since the effects of it are so varied and prolific, I wanted to start a thread about magnesium deficiency, and I will add more as I learn more about this mineral.

There are some really good books and videos on this topic, but I wanted to start out with just a short video that give a small overview of magnesium, what it does, and what happens when we are deficient.
    Dr. Carolyn Dean has written a book called “The Magnesium Miracle” (which I am now reading) and also has videos on youtube, if you want to watch.
    I didn’t post one here because they are over an hour long, but worth the time to watch if you are interested in learning more about magnesium deficiency.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne, I bought some magnesium supplement tablets a long while back, but never got around to taking it on a regular basis. I just took 250 mg because of your post. Now if I can just remember to keep doing it.:rolleyes: Thanks for the reminder.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - I get confused with magnesium as there seems to be different types
    What is the magnesium you are taking ?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

https://wellnessmama.com/54128/magnesium-deficiency/
    https://www.ancient-minerals.com/101-uses-for-magnesium/

Didn't you start a thread about using Magnesium spray in the Health section @Yvonne Smith?

The link to the website above has some good info and a booklet one can download which has recipes for making your own magnesium oil or butter. I could relate to several of the deficiency signs and believe this is something I probably need to supplement. But taking pills is usually always rough on my digestive system and doesn't usually give total absorption of the supplement so topical absorption would be better for me.

I think @Terry Page was or still is using the spray? And I had ordered a bottle of spray which I just pulled out of my health storage cabinet. My spray is 100% pure magnesium chloride brine. What form of magnesium are you taking Yvonne?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Terry Page like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lolo setting front of the Vitamin Shoppe as I read this post. Looking for Turmeric supplement for my hubby...Dr. advise.
    I will hv to read up on magnisum to see what lack of...the symptoms are.
    Thanks for the pist Yvonne!

Terry Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a good thing......
    [​IMG]

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The bad thing is I know I do not eat enough greens and other stuff with magnesium anymore. I just can't seem to build up enough of an appetite these days. But even if I was able to eat enough...our food supply is not fresh and the chemicals, etc. they use on them deplete most of the vitamins and minerals that we eat them for. So supplementation makes sense to me for some things.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am still working on that part, @Patsy Faye . What I have right now is the magnesium pills. They are from magnesium oxate, citrate, and malate and have B-6 as well.
    I also ordered some ionic magnesium that is a liquid and you just use a tiny bit under your tongue, and a bottle that has trace minerals that enhance the magnesium, and will be starting that next week when they arrive.
    The person who started the thread about magnesium oil was @Terry Page , and I have some of that, that I got back when we first started that thread.

There are so many different forms, and I don’t know which one is best; but here is my thinking on it......... the capsules that I have been taking helped me RIGHT AWAY, so even if they are not the best ones available, taking some kind is better than not taking any kind.
    You can also absorb magnesium just by taking a bath or soaking your feet in Epsom salts; so that is yet another possibility.

Different people might do better with different types , so if one form of magnesium does not work, then try something else.
    It is kind of like getting a vitamin, there are all kinds of foods that might have a certain vitamin in it, and some will be better than others, but the one that you will eat is probably the best food for you to get that vitamin with.

This is the one I have ordered from Amazon.
    AE539900-8038-40AC-875B-0D6E807460E7.jpeg

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is a great short video, Yvonne, and all true as far as I know. I would point out, however, that many commercially-grown greens no longer have as high amounts of magnesium as they once did since soils in which they are grown have been depleted. As I wrote in another thread, I take magnesium citrate for muscle cramping and better sleep. Fortunately, I don't have cardiac arrhythmias as you do, but perhaps I can keep them warded off with the help of magnesium. As the doctor pointed out, magnesium is the "relaxation" mineral in the body and does a similar thing in the soil. I don't know why the cal-mag-zn compound wouldn't work for you unless it was the chemical formulation. Try to use soluble, absorbable forms of minerals when possible. When you hear stories of the sewers being plugged with vitamin pills, it is usually calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide tablets that are found. Use citrate, gluconate or other soluble forms for the best effect. Thanks for the update, Yvonne.

10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The body has a balancing act of different minerals. There is 147 different ailments related to a calcium deficiency but calcium needs magnesium to balance it they work together.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Yvonne, I tried Magnesium citrate which affected my tummy
    I'll take another look through the options on Amazon

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

One way to check solubility is just drop a tablet into room temp or like warm water. If it breaks down in about an hour, it is okay. Also, anything that has the USP label on it has already been tested for solubility.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's complicated. Don suggested the citrate, then I talked with Yvonne and hers had the oxide.

I talked to my sister this morning and she said she takes the citrate (her daughter, my niece is a pharmacist).

Then I went to Walgreens and asked the pharmacist and he said he takes the oxide. He takes it for cramps, he's youngish.

He asked what I wanted it for....I said "I don't know, everybody is taking it"...then he said just take a multivitamin and vitamin D...I said I already do.

So I left without buying anything.

This is why I hate supplements ...they're all confusing.

I have a drs appt in July, I'll ask what her opinion is...I trust her.

I'm also going to wait with the eye ointment until my appt with my opthamologist in July also. Was going to ask the pharmacist but although he may know if it interacts with my eye drops...he probably doesn't know much about high eye pressure.

So, everything is on hold for me until July...if I lived this long, I'll live til then.

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

In the meantime I just found I still had some 250 mg magnesium tablets with the oxide. They expired a few months ago but I'm sure they're still ok ...maybe less potent.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

They will be fine, Chrissy. The FDA just requires expiration dates on everything. Just try them and see if they make a difference. I discovered Mg helps me sleep and relieves leg cramps that I sometimes have trouble with since my injury. I know a lot of DCs and naturopaths recommend a "balanced CA-Mg supplement" for older people, especially if there are indications of osteoporosis. Of course, as Yvonne's video mentioned, neither work without adequate Vitamin D and Vitamin K2. I think part of the problem is the worn out soils. Farmers replace N-P-K (macronutrients) and neglect the micronutrients (mostly metals), so the soil gets depleted over the years and the food grown is not as nutritious as it used to be unless there is input from other sources, the easiest is kelp and other ocean products.