Magnetic Charger Connectors Are Awesome !

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yesterday, my daughter, Robin, came over and she had brought us both a new gadget (have I ever mentioned that she is The Gadget Girl ?)
    What she brought us was a magenetic connecting cable that works with a usb connection, a lightning connection, and the usb c that the new iPad uses.
    How it works , is that there is a little insert that fits into your device, and it has a magnetic end. Then the charging cable just plugs in to whatever you are already plugging the charger adapter into. Instead of trying to fit the little ends together , it just connects magnetically, and is so much simpler,
    Plus, the same charging cord can work for ANY device because the magnetic end works with the adaptor end that is in each device.
    The lightning cord ends are pretty easy to use because there is no particular way that they have to fit, but the little usb cords have to go in the right side up with the device, and I usually take 2-3 tries before I get the Kindle plugged in correctly.
    Now, they are all so simple because you are just connecting two magnetic ends.

9F96BA99-89DC-4E09-839A-AFE9179B3E79.jpeg

2. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Well that looks like something we could use here ! Thanks for sharing .. now we are on the hunt for this !

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

The picture that I posted was from Amazon. The set of three cables and all of the connectors was listed for about $22. You can buy the little connector ends separately , too, so if you have more devices that need to be connected . I have two of the cords connected, and then the connector end in my iPads and Kindle, so I can charge two devices at one time.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That might be a good way to extend the life of my mini smartphone, whose charge port is wearing out. Thanks Yvonne.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I do need a new very long charger cord for my iPad but it’s not a new iPad.

My iwatch uses the magnetic charger.

My iPhone uses the same type as my iPad.

I seldom have everything charging at once but since I do need a new longer cord...would this be a good option for me.

Too early in the morning for me to think....plus I didn’t sleep well.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

An added plus is that you do not have to put your glasses on to plug your devices in. When the magnet even comes close to the connection it will connect with no guidance.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

It also has a blue LED light on the end, so you can always find the end easily. Both Bobby and I are totally impressed with how easily these charging cables work, and it is well worth the money to get a set.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

YES! That’s what I like about the iwatch charger.
    True about needing glasses.

Even feeling around in the dark (put my iPad on charger after I’m in bed...can’t seem to do it. Frustrating.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Maggie Mae

Registered

Yvonne .. have you noticed the charging end getting warm or hot? I read in a couple of reviews on these items that sort of thing might be a problem. I'm wondering if those who complained about that may have just gotten a bad cord.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m not Yvonne but I think I can answer the question fairly well. The end has an LED light which will get warm but nothing that will hurt the unit.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Maggie Mae

Registered

Ok .. thanks .. I appreciate your reply ... that helps me a lot :)

12. Yvonne Smith

I often leave my iPad on charge over night, and I have never even noticed any warmth in the charger, and even the little blue light feels cool to me.
    It might be that there are different brands of the magnetic chargers, and some work better than others.
    Robin has these plugged in all over her house, so she can charge any of her devices in any room.

She wanted to get more of them for Bobby and I ; but I assured her that we each have our little area where we charge everything, and wouldn’t use them in any other rooms.
    I do want to get a little corner desk to keep everything off of the floor, but basically, I have everything right beside me, and just alternate which devices are on the chargers at one time.
    This morning, it is my headphones, because I use them to listen to the self-improvement tapes at night, along with my iPhone.

Maggie Mae and Bobby Cole like this.