Mail Problem Again!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 3, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Other day I went to our mailbox, which is amongst other mailboxes for three buildings in our apt. complex. There are other apt. buildings in our complex, but this mailbox area is where ours is. Anyway, went over to see if we got any mail and "low and behold" AGAIN our mailman (or his relief) took the outgoing mail out of the Outgoing Box and left it sitting on top of the Large Parcel boxes. There were two outgoing pieces of mail. I took both and put back in the Outgoing mailbox. Went to the Office and they pretty much blew me off. "Not my problem", the Asst. Manager said to me.

Last time this happened, we had two bills (being paid) sitting in the Outgoing Box. I had went over to get our mail and both of those and a few other "outgoing" pieces of mail were laying onto of the Large Parcel boxes. I put those back in the Outgoing mailbox and went to the Office to tell them what had happened. Like the other day, I was "brushed off" by the Asst. Manager.

The first time it happened, our regular mailman told me that it was his Relief that left the outgoing mail laying there. This time, I don't know which one it was.

What I do know, citizens can get into real trouble for tampering with mail, but what happens to the mailman if mail is delivered to the wrong house/apartment or outgoing mail is left behind for anyone to do anything with?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I know how you feel on this - we have mail delivered to the wrong address too many times
    Is there anyone higher up the ladder you can communicate with ? Its so wrong for your mail to be left sitting around

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

How annoying. They have one job.

A lot of time now, people won't hesitate to lie and say someone else did something they did if there's no proof, but he may have been truthful.

You could get one of those tiny "cop" cameras on tv if it continues and send it to a tv news station.
    It's very serious - people steal identities going through other people's mail.

I once went to the outside mail box at the post office to mail my bills, hours before they opened. It was near Christmas.
    You could have reached in and scooped up dozens of pieces of mail. It wasn't that good of a location, and people
    sent cards with money in them at Christmast time, back then.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

That is a serious breach by the Mailman leaving the mail out for anyone to take.. there could be checks or anything in those ... so it's important that you contact your sorting office or whatever you call it there... where the mailman collects his mail for delivery, and speak to the manager.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, Holly, I did that once for something that I ordered from Walgreens and it wasn't put into our mailbox. I checked our address online and it was correct, with correct apartment number, but was still put into someone else's box. I went to our mail distribution center with a copy of the online statement stating the item had been delivered. The lady at the center looked up to see who the carrier was, but wouldn't tell me. She did say to me "I'll let him know that he delivered todays package to the wrong address. That's all I can do."

Heck, even UPS can't deliver right, sometimes. We ordered, online a battery starter/jumper for our boat. We hadn't got it yet, so I stopped a UPS man in our complex and asked him about it. I showed him information from online. He looked up the item and told me it had been delivered to a complex down the street. Wife and I went there and sure enough, the boat item was sitting in their office storage room. The address on the box was totally different than their address! When I asked someone about it, they told me "We don't check addresses. We just sign for items and put the item/items in that storeroom until the resident asks for it. If we have time, we will contact the name on the package.

So, with this...…….just what can a person do??? Now, sometimes we have an item delivered to the store we bought it from online.

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when I lived in Canada and would probably be getting just as upset as the people here. Now living in a third world country it seems so ridicules what problems you have. I have to go 5 miles to mail a letter and then hope the post office is even open as it has no regular hours. To get my mail there is a guy who works for the post office that takes the letters with him hoping he will see you in town. I seldom go to town maybe every second month and if he sees me he has my letter or tells me there is a letter for me in the office. Mail could take from one week to six months to get to me and if there is anything of value I might not even get it. If I want to send something important I have to go 35 miles to Puerto Plata and send it by registered mail. After hearing your complaints although I would have agreed with you in the past I now have a different opinion.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ...at least Here.. It is the responsibility of the vendor to notify you when and where your packages are delivered.
    As for mail pieces..only to be delivered in your mailbox. Contact the post office in writting....for proof..but also by phone.
    If not resoloved...contact Atty Generals office...my suggestion.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

You don't want to speak to the 'asst manager' as you stated, but the 'manager'
    I have done this with good results
    Gloria has it right

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Your manager can not do anything about this. The only place you can get any results is with the postal service.

You must contact the office where your mail is distributed from. If you don't get results from them .. contact the us postmaster.

As for things being delivered to the wrong address .. again .. take it up with the post office.

There is no business in this world who is fully responsible for where that mail delivery person drops something. Just because you get a "confirmation" that something has been delivered does not mean it made it to your place.

You need to step up and get harsh with these people .. until you do nothing will be done.

I know all of this because I had the same problem just 2 months ago. Suddenly - after 10 years of living here - neighbors began bringing me mail and packages that had been delivered to them as well as 2 pkgs that clearly fit into my mail box that were left sitting on the steps.

I got on the phone .. spoke to a supervisor at our local post office who assured me that the problem would be remedied .. and it was. But you must be firm and speak to a supervisor.

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Maggie Mae - think I misunderstood, I was suggesting the manager at the mail office :p Or as you call it
    Postmaster :) Or, supervisor even ………..

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo
    Six months??? How do you pay your bills?
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank what bills your thinking of your country not here. No land, house, working taxes. Our electrical bill comes by a person who works for the electrical service. I go into Luperon once a month to pay for internet and the water bill $ 3.50 and electricity. That is my monthly bills. Nothing by mail.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My biggest gripe is that our postman jams packages into our mailbox so tightly that I need to call the "jaws of life" to get the stuff out. Our neighborhood has the "pod" of mailboxes on each street; we don't have a mailbox at our house. So to keep from having to bring a package to our front porch, the guy must use his boots and a wedge to stomp stuff into the mailbox. I have actually had to tear the end of a box open, remove the contents, then rip the box up to get it out of there.

I have "alerts" set up to my cellphone for deliveries from all the major parcel delivery companies.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have things jammed into our mailbox, too, and in the past, have had deliveries which were given to the wrong address, or that the mailman just overlooked. In one case, they forgot to leave it, and it was sent back to Birmingham (or maybe even Atlanta ?) and it took several days before it got back to us again......totally ridiculous !
    I definitely agree that telling the post office about the mail left on top of the boxes makes much more sense than trying to have the apartment management deal with it. They do not have any control over what the mailman does.
    I would take a picture of it, or even take all of the mail that was left out on top, and go to the nearest post office and tell them what the mailman is doing, and then they can deal with him/her directly .

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Or, tape a note above the mailboxes:

ATTENTION MAILPERSON-- PAY ATTENTION AND DON'T LEAVE MAIL LAYING HERE ON TOP OF THE LARGE PARCEL BOXES, THANKS. :p