Making Glass Pendants From Dollar Tree Flat Marbles

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just watching an interesting video by a lady who uses those flat clear glass marbles (like you would put in a glass vase) and makes little jewelry pendants out of them. The process is fairly simple, and the end result is beautiful. It is similar to those paperweights that you used to see that were made with acrylic and pictures underneath.
    What she does is coat the hollow side of the marble with clear (or glitter) fingernail polish, and then puts it over a picture or background that she has found in a magazine . She leaves it overnight for the polish to dry and then cuts around the edge of the marble to remove the rest of the picture.
    After that she paints the back (over the back side of the picture) and adds a clip so that you can thread the pendant on a necklace or bracelet.
    She said she sells these on ebay.
    I am not interested in making jewelry for myself (although maybe earrings ?) but it might be an interesting way to make a little extra money on ebay. It seems to me that this technique could be applied to other glass objects possibly; but that is something that would need more research.

Here is the video.

2. Yvonne Smith

Here is another Dollar Tree craft that I think would be pretty easy to do, and would look nice once it was finished. We have been talking about having a large wall mirror in the front room so that it would reflect back from the street and yard out front and make the room look larger. I was telling @Bobby Cole that I had seen a tutorial for this on Youtube, and it was pretty cheap and simple to make out of small mirrors ; so I looked it up again, and here is how it is done. I think that a person could make one just about any size that you wanted if you added more sections like this one, and you could also paint the frames to match your decor if you wanted to do that; but I think that it looks nice just the way it is, too.
    A person could also paint decorations or add decals to the mirrors if you wanted some kind of a themed look.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Well, as you might have guessed from my post about the mirrors being stolen out of our car, we are not making a wall mirror right now. Sometimes, Walmart actually has items cheaper than at the dollar store, so we decided to check the mirror section. They didn't have the small mirrors like this video shows from Dollar Tree; but Walmart did have the long skinny mirrors for under $6. We decided that these would be simple to work with because we didn't have to do any glueing or assembling, except to mount the mirrors on the wall. Since we were putting each one up separately, we could leave a small space in between each mirror and this would make the total size seem even larger. The mirrors from Walmart are just over a foot wide, and about 4 feet tall; so it will make a nice addition once it is accomplished.
    So....... we bought six of these mirrors. However, before we can put them up on the back wall of the living room, we need to shuffle some of the furniture around first, which is why we left the mirrors outside in the car over night.
    We have decided that we still want to do this; but before we replace the stolen mirrors, we are going to get everything ready so that we can just bring them right in and Bobby can put them up on the wall.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I just watched her making the pendants. They are so pretty!

Yvonne Smith likes this.