Making Money Isn't Only Material

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Avigail David, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Making money can be found anchored in the spiritual in human activities. Physical aspects of making money put into good use to produce work for the job. I do online writing and editing, to make money. To me, it's a pleasure to understand what I can do as a WAHM, Work-at-home-Mom. A hands-on home-schooling Mom, as well.

Are you a small business-- engaged in self-employment or freelance writing? Or a big business as a Web developer? Maintenance man? Dairy farmer? Carpenter? All these physical activities to make money cannot be replaced by machinery. We need the spiritual understanding of our human mind and soul to operate and function properly to engage in productive work-- and staying there with all the pleasures of being able to do something and enjoying the benefits of work and making money.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been self employed since 1998. My first enterprise, in desktop publishing, became less viable by the time everyone owned a PC. In 2008 I started writing web content and since then I have relied on freelance writing jobs. My work gives me a lot of pleasure and personal satisfaction, which is of greater value to me than the money I make from it. I would have a higher income if I was in full-time employment. but I'm happier to be doing something I enjoy just to earn enough to cover my household bills and living expenses.

Diane Lane and Avigail David like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The only way to earn money that I know is employment. I had once tried a part time business of selling ready-to-wear clothes and it was good. But compared to my employment, I would stick with my job. Being your own boss is a good feel but it it scary to think of the revenue. What if your business does not earn? We have regular bills to pay plus the mortgage on the house, the car installments so my job with a regular salary is very important to us.

Diane Lane and Avigail David like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel the same way, that we actually have an emotional or spiritual need to engage in some sort of productive work. I absolutely feel a sense of accomplishment in my soul when I create something beautiful, and it's even more fulfilling when I give the item away or sell it, and I know it's appreciated.

I often wonder about the people in the world who aren't productive in some way, who are very self-focused, and don't think about how to improve their lives, the lives of loved ones, assuming they're capable of loving others, and/or improving the world. I don't understand how people like that can feel any sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, or worth.

Avigail David likes this.
  5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree, I got involved in working online in order to earn money. But right now I have a job online that gives me more then money. It gives me satisfaction, it also gives me an opportunity to have freedom from having to punch a time clock. I also like the people that I work for online, they seem like great individuals. So, I feel like I am quite lucky in finding this job.

Avigail David likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We saw an attorney last week to discuss establishing a trust or some other means to ensure that our grandchildren inherit our 100-acre parcel of land and camp if one or the other of us should incur large medical debts at some point. He gave us a couple of options that we're thinking of but, while we were there, his web site came up for discussion. He has a web site that is little more than a placeholder so it looks like we're going to be able to create a web site for him, whether for pay or barter for services. So that will be good. We're not talking about big money but everything helps.

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm glad y'all are securing the land for your grandchildren, @Ken Anderson. I don't believe there should be any sort of 'death' tax, and also don't believe people should lose everything because of an illness. Sometimes things happen at just the right time, and it sounds as if that's what happened while you were there. Hopefully y'all can work out some sort of barter or other payment that works out all around, it sounds as if the arrangement could prove mutually beneficial. When I run into that type of situation, I often exchange a few business cards, because invariably, I know of someone else in the line for the same services, and hopefully the other person will also pass mine along if someone s/he meets is in need of my services.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I like the idea of bartering for services. Unfortunately, in America money is a necessity for housing, utilities, and medicines. But in a bartering scenario, everyone gets something they need or want. I wish we could do more of this on a daily basis.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It is wonderful when you can earn some income doing the things that you are passionate about. I can't think of anything more miserable than having to earn income by doing something you care nothing about or even hate doing, but I have actually had people say to me that even though they hate their job, they can't give it up because the money is to good. :(