Man Plans To Live Out Golden Years At Holiday Inn

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can see that as being an alternative, especially one of the places where the rooms are little “kitchenettes”and have a space where you can prepare food if you wanted to do that.
    Nursing homes are pretty expensive, even the cheap ones, and unless you needed medical care nearby, then living in a hotel rooms would not be that bad.
    When I went to Orlando with my daughter last spring, her job sends her to one of those hotels that are more like an extended stay, and designed for people to be there for weeks at a time, when necessary.
    We had a nice room, with plenty of space, and a little kitchen area, and I went down to the swimming pool every day and swam. Everything is included, even WiFi, so a person would only need to provide for food and clothing and everything else would pretty much be part of the cost of living at the hotel.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes a person has to watch which Extended Stay, which I think are also called "weekly motels" due to undesirable people living there. I think that there are those that can't rent an apartment, due to bad credit and/or criminal history, that live at weekly motels.

Then again, thinking about it, weekly motels are mostly found in undesirable locations, whereas Extended Stay ones are more expensive and in nicer areas of a city.

Faith Lodestar likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Many elderly widowed celebrities live in hotels here in the UK... Many of them have no family left, and so they live in the hotel being essentially waited on hand and foot, and not in an old folks home, where their only company would be other old people...

Elaine Stritch lived at The Savoy hotel London for 13 years as did Richard Harris who lived there for 15 years.

Coco Chanel lived at the Ritz in Paris, Cole Porter at the Waldorf NY for 15 years, and Peter Sellers lived at the Dorchester hotel London for decades...

It's much more common than people realise.. and although my examples are high end hotels and accommodation, it's true that a budget hotels, will do just as well..as long as no nursing is needed, and a mighty load cheaper!!

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that I have also read about people who live on cruise ships, and I don’t know if I would want to do that for the rest of my life, but I think that it would be fun to do for a while.
    The premise here is the same as staying at the luxury hotel; however, on the cruise ship, even the food is included.
    You would have awesome views of the area you were cruising through, and if a person booked the right cruises, the cost might not even be too bad. I remember getting ads for a cruise company, and what they did was sell tickets for cruises that needed more people to fill the quota that the ship needed to be financially productive.
    The cost was much less than the normal price, but you had to be willing to go when and where they had the openings for.

A person could even travel and live in different hotels, if you were doing that plan, and probably find hotel discounts , too, just like the cruise line discounts.
    I know that hotels also sell half price (or less) rooms when they need to have more rooms full to cover expenses and half price is better than the room sitting there empty.
    If you planned a trip route, and then booked ahead to get the cheap rates, you could then travel by air/car/bus/train from one city to the next one where you wanted to stay at, and be in warmer states during the winter and cooler ones in the summer heat.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's true @Yvonne Smith that hotels often sell their rooms at discount prices. for example Omar Sharif got 5 months free board in every 12 months at his hotel.. but as he explained, everything at the hotel was very expensive to buy , even down to the last cup of coffee or glass of water, so he felt he was paying his way by spending his money in the hotel and inviting his friends over to do the same...

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I would definitely consider this as an alternative to a Nursing home any day! :)

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

My aunt stayed in hotels - she loved the company so it suited her well

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This WAS a good idea... but now that the press has gotten hold of this, and all the publicity -hotels and motels may up their prices :(

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

This idea was passed around via email several years ago. After attending my wife in memory care units for nearly two years I became very familiar with their operation and level of care. An extended stay motel with a coffee shop and near by restaurants is much more appealing and would have fewer restrictions than care facilities. And, some one would check your room every day and find you if you needed assistance.
    Thanks for the reminder.